• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Transmission Upgrade

Mosesatm

It's been many, many years since I replaced a manual transmission so hopefully some of you can help with this decision.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if the best way to replace the transmission is by pulling the engine and it out as one unit, installing the transmission out of the car, then reinstalling everything as one unit.

It just seems to me that crawling the car, without a lift, and trying to muscle the old transmission out, then lining up and installing the new one is going to be an awful task.

In my much younger days of working in the driveway, I'd rest the transmission on my chest, raise it up to the bellhousing, wiggle it around, cuss a little, then bring it back down, rest a bit, and try it again. I'm too old for that nonsense.

What do you think, is pulling everything at once the best way to go?

Thanks

Ruppstang

However, you decide to do the change I would recommend cutting off the heads of some long bolts and screwing them into the bellhousing. Everything will line up beautifully.
I gave up the chest alinement procedure a long time ago.

rvrtrash

Arlie, I think the best way to go is to take it to a friend with a lift and have the two of you change the tranny. :grin:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Great idea, as long as we can do it in a day.
I'm going to compare the distances from the bellhousing to the end of the output shaft to see if my driveline will work. My other concern is the exhaust.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

However, you decide to do the change I would recommend cutting off the heads of some long bolts and screwing them into the bellhousing. Everything will line up beautifully.
I gave up the chest alinement procedure a long time ago.

I like that. I wonder if all-thread has the correct threads.

rvrtrash

Great idea, as long as we can do it in a day.
I'm going to compare the distances from the bellhousing to the end of the output shaft to see if my driveline will work. My other concern is the exhaust.

I forgot it was going to be a 5 speed swap. Can't guarantee it would be done in a day. I haven't done that swap before.

robert campbell

Arlie,
Call Modern Driveline in Idaho.

https://www.moderndriveline.com/

They will talk you through this conversion. I assume you have a used T5 five speed? The old blue one that you had me work on had the conversion and was able to utilize the factory clutch set up. That kinda surprised me. I just put a Tremac 5 Speed behind a 390 in a 1969 Cougar. There is an adaptor plate that is one inch thick to adapt the Tremac to the stock bellhouse. I think you will need that.

That will require some cross member work and a shorter driveline. Very doable, but not in one day. The adaptor plate requires drilling two holes into the stock bell house that can be done in the car.

But contact Modern Driveline to ensure I have the above correct. One stop shopping for all your needs.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Rob, I ordered the entire conversion kit from them. Everything but the driveline. Not sure if I’ll have mine shortened or go with an aluminum one.

CougarCJ

I think you talked about this before? What rear end gear ratio are you planning on using?

robert campbell

Arlie,
Is 70 MPH at 2,000 after or currently? If it is current now with a 3 or 4 speed manual, you must have a tall tire on her. Order a duplicating punch to center punch the stock bell house for the two new holes. By the way they come in from the "inside" of the bell house. A bit tight but doable.

Have fun!! Wish you lived closer!!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Arlie,
Is 70 MPH at 2,000 after or currently? If it is current now with a 3 or 4 speed manual, you must have a tall tire on her. Order a duplicating punch to center punch the stock bell house for the two new holes. By the way they come in from the "inside" of the bell house. A bit tight but doable.

Have fun!! Wish you lived closer!!

Rob

After. 70MPH currently should be around 3,000.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, this definitely isn't the original transmission, and from the research I've done it isn't even a toploader 4-speed. It's a '77 or '78 three-speed overdrive.

Attachments

• Trans numbers.jpg
    Trans numbers.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Transmission.jpg
    Transmission.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 37

robert campbell

Arlie,
They came in Granada's and Zepher's in the 77 78 era. Flipped the 4th gear lever over to engage the input shaft (normal 4th gear) into a 3rd gear selection and then 4th gear into the normal 3rd gear selection in the tranny. Reduced the 3rd gear ratio to .75 and wal laa! A poor man's overdrive. One to one in 3rd gear and .75 in 4th. Huge gap between 2nd and 3rd and a 3.00 low first gear. A real stupid move by Ford. They had miserable gaps in the rpm when shifting. A piece of doo doo!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, hell.

Attachments

• 38854ADB-5A3C-4383-B320-E153F2E59855.jpeg
    38854ADB-5A3C-4383-B320-E153F2E59855.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Yeah, I expected better quality from these folks. Two of the adapter plate holes line up, but the other two are way off.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ah, there's nothing quite like a total brain fart.
Those holes are not supposed to line up as they are for the transmission.
The adapter plate/bellhousing holes are inboard of the outer holes. They need to be drilled as Rob mentioned in an earlier post.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

This is such an easy project (so far-less the brain fart) I should have done it long ago.