• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Few Pictures

Tequila

Hello,
Just wanted to share a few pictures from the recently completed restoration. Still needs a few more things to tweak, including engine bay wiring looms, fixing the sloppy power steering, A/C recharge, and finally get the tilt mechanism to work properly.

First picture is how I purchased the car back in 2013. Basically we completely stripped it and rebuilt it.

Originally my plan was to restore to factory original but turned into somewhat of a restomod. I had initially purchased a low mileage rebuilt 289 with all the period correct pulleys, exhaust, etc... but that engine ran like crap so we took it out and bored out the current engine out a 302 block with some performance components.

I would also acknowledge a few folks on this site that have been tremendously helpful, and some that I had purchased or given me some of the hard to find parts over the years. In no particular order...

Neil
Marty
Arlie
Rob Campbell
Bill (Travelled GTCS)
whodat
Steve (rvrtrash)
Scott Benhcke
stangfan
admin (Jon)
Classicsguy
Bob Teets
dalorzo_f
Mike Jewell

Attachments

• mustang 3a.jpg
    mustang 3a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 63
  • mustang 3b.jpg
    mustang 3b.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 64
  • mustang 3c.jpg
    mustang 3c.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 71
  • mustang 3d.jpg
    mustang 3d.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Mustang 3e.jpg
    Mustang 3e.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 73
  • mustang 3f.jpg
    mustang 3f.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 73
  • mustang 3g.jpg
    mustang 3g.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 59
  • mustang 1a.jpg
    mustang 1a.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
T

Tequila

No, that is how they go.

Thanks all for the compliments. Appreciate it.

Good question about the headrest and so glad Marty chimed in. I was going to take it out and try it the other way. Glad I didn't have to since some of the hardware can be hard to find if I end up breaking it.

By the way, any suggestions on fixing the free play in the steering wheel? It gets scary going over 45 mph. There is a significant free play on the steering wheel even just with the ignition off. I have power steering and all the components except the steering box have been rebuilt. I watched some troubleshooting videos on WCC and not looking forward to replacing the steering box, due to tight fit with the exhaust headers. Would I be able to remove the steering box without removing the exhaust headers/pipes? Just curious if anyone has done this without removing the exhaust.

franklinair

Take a look at WCCC's video on loose steering. Lots of good info.
You may need to adjust the steering box rather than replacing it.

Neil

CaliStang68

Very nice resto, the stance is also very impressive. What size tires and wheels are those?

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Very nice resto, the stance is also very impressive. What size tires and wheels are those?

Thanks!

The tires are 225/60R15 Cooper and Legendary Wheel Magnum 500 Alloy Wheel 15"x7". With this setup we did have to upgrade to adjustable strut rod from Open Tracker, eliminating the very slight tire rubbing issue because the rubber bushings on the regular strut rods were flexing.

Gatorbait

Awesome car. I’m on a similar journey and it’s really close to done. Mine is also red, and also loaded up including the rare factory headrests. You made some tasteful mods, why not go with a Borgenson steering upgrade? That’s what I did. I wanted our car as original as I could but that was one of the things that had to change for me. Makes a world of difference.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Rob. Unfortunately redhead steering site doesn't list Mustang steering box. Maybe because cores are hard to find. If I could figure out a way to get it removed without removing the headers etc I would love to get it get it rebuilt. I guess I may have no choice but to remove the exhaust because of the tight fit.

Love to talk to about possible options.

By the way, I was watching some videos on how to refill the grease and wondering if there is a specific tip to attach to the grease gun that fits into the fill port?

Thanks!

Teq,

First step. They make them better than from the factory!!!

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/

Then we will talk about the rest of the steering!

Rob

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks. I don't know much about the Borgensen steering system. One of the videos I watched a while back included cutting the steering column and I just didn't want to cut the somewhat rare tilt column. Good suggestion.

Awesome car. I’m on a similar journey and it’s really close to done. Mine is also red, and also loaded up including the rare factory headrests. You made some tasteful mods, why not go with a Borgenson steering upgrade? That’s what I did. I wanted our car as original as I could but that was one of the things that had to change for me. Makes a world of difference.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Dan! I always have a special memory of your dad. I bought the light pedestals from him a while back and there was a mixup with the address. USPS sent the package back as undeliverable. Your dad re-shipped it again and he wouldn't take the extra postage from me even though it was my fault. That was very nice of him.

robert campbell

Thanks Rob. Unfortunately redhead steering site doesn't list Mustang steering box. Maybe because cores are hard to find. If I could figure out a way to get it removed without removing the headers etc I would love to get it get it rebuilt. I guess I may have no choice but to remove the exhaust because of the tight fit.

Love to talk to about possible options.

By the way, I was watching some videos on how to refill the grease and wondering if there is a specific tip to attach to the grease gun that fits into the fill port?

Thanks!

Take yours out and take it to Redhead. They will rebuild it better than new and even respect your color and tag. The only way to grease it is to take the top off and finger it in. You should try to remove the "clay like" grease first, but it will still not get into the bearings where it is needed most.

Get it out and take it to Redhead! You will not be sorry! The removal of your header will be forgotten soon after your steering is way better!

Rob