• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hello, new poster here! And a question!

Gotthebug

Hello all! I joined some time ago but had a hard time being getting in to post and when that problem was fixed life interrupted and projects were in a holding pattern! So, sorry for not introducing my self sooner. I have found this site and its contributors to be an incredible resource for the try to do it your self guy! I purchase my GT/CS in october 2019 and for awhile in was non stop researching and fixing. That had slowed but now I have some time and I am trying to just get it on the road. One question I have is, what do you use to remove the old yellow weather stripe adhesive on the trunk lid and not damage the paint? Thanks, Bob

OP
OP
G

Gotthebug

Thanks for the reply. I was worried lacquer thinner would hurt the paint but i tried it in a small spot and it works but very time consuming and it looks like someone has used something else on it because there is also a heavy clear glue i can only guess is super glue. I will continue to press on! lol I will try the 3m adhesive remover next! Thanks Ruppstang and Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ford used acrylic enamel on the Mustangs so lacquer thinner is normally fine to use.

Old Chevys on the other hand are another story.

Also, in the old days body shops used lacquer for repairs with no clear coat over it, so thinner may be fine for most of the car but then it may dissolve the paint on a repaired area.

OP
OP
G

Gotthebug

Thanks for the info, that was one of my fears but i believe the paint inside the trunk lid is original because it held up fine with the lacquer thinner. Then again who knows after fifty plus years! Thanks again, Bob