• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Headers

RoStang

I am finishing up a total restoration on a 289 2Bbl C code car and I am thinking about putting headers on the car. I have kept everything very stock and as many parts as original as possible. I am thinking about headers simply to get better performance. The exhaust manifolds have been sand blasted and painted and I would keep them with the car. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the a particular header that will have all the clearance it needs?

Thanks in advance.

RoStang
RL_Stegall@hotmail.com

Ruppstang

You might look in to the cast iron Shelby headers. They would cause less interference with the steering components. For me I am satisfied with the stock set up.

CaliStang68

I used Hedman short style headers and had the muffler shop reroute the exhaust for optimal clearance.

robert campbell

You will see very little benefit if any from any kind of a header with your stock build. Now if you match a new intake, a larger camshaft profile, and a 4 barrel carb you will see improvement in power. Stick with your stock manifolds.

A stock 2 barrel 289 will get low twenties MPG in stock form. A nice dual exhaust system will sound nicer. Now, if you want to build a power package, I am ready to spend your money!!

Rob