CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Old 12/27/2020, 03:18 PM   #16
cmacias24

Send a message via MSN to cmacias24
My Garage
Hereís the latest. The is the best picture of the carís lead that feeds the rear. As you can see, two wires feed on connector and a single wire feeds the other. The two wire connector feeds the black and red wire from the rear harness, and the single wire feeds the black wire. For whatís itís worth, the color of the single wire is a red and black, which kinda matches the reverse wire from the rear harness. That said, am I wrong to presume that the rear harness connectors are flipped at the connector? If yes, can I buy one of those tools that slide in and release the pins to correct it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cmacias24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2020, 03:19 PM   #17
cmacias24

My Garage

Old 01/10/2021, 02:23 PM   #18
cmacias24

My Garage
Last update. I flipped the pins and all is working well, as far as I can tell. Thanks for al you help!

Old 09/21/2021, 08:52 PM   #19
Tequila

My Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacias24 View Post
Last update. I flipped the pins and all is working well, as far as I can tell. Thanks for al you help!

Cesar,
Thanks for posting this. After troubleshooting for a few hours we noticed our lights were doing the same thing - Taillight and reverse lights backwards.

Thank you for posting the pictures and your findings. The wires are reversed on our harness at the plugs as well. Since everything is installed it is a pain to get to.
Tequila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2021, 08:14 AM   #20
Tequila

My Garage
Cesar,
Do you know if the wires are wrong on the taillight harness or the main harness? wondering because we could two powered wires that aren't supposed to be powered. Is the fix just a matter of flipping the wires on the taillight harness?

Thanks!
Old 09/22/2021, 08:52 AM   #21
cmacias24

My Garage
Iím my case, the wires were flipped on the wiring harness that feeds the taillights, not the one under the dash. They sell a small tool that allows you to remove the pins from the connector and swap locations.

Old 09/22/2021, 09:37 AM   #22
Tequila

My Garage
Thanks. Appreciate the quick response.
Old 09/23/2021, 10:41 AM   #23
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Great thread by all who participated! This is the research that helps so many people by the step by step approach to isolating the problem!!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2021, 02:08 PM   #24
Tequila

My Garage
Thanks Rob. I agree. People on this site are super helpful and a great resource.

The fix that Cesar found worked on my taillight issue as well and working as expected.

Unfortunately the reverse light now stays lit with the ignition on so we are thinking it might be an issue with the neutral safety switch.
Old 09/24/2021, 11:37 AM   #25
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
The neutral safety switch/backup light switch has a finite adjustment. On your car it is on the transmission where the linkage hooks onto the tranny from the shifter. It has two 1/4 20bolts holding it on and has oval holes for adjustment by turning it.

Jack the car up to gain access and have your lovely wife sit in the car. Does it start in Park? Does it start in neutral? If so it is close. The reverse light maybe on in Park or Neutral. Find out which one lights it up. Then loosen and "nudge" the switch one way or another why your lovely assistant watches the reverse light. It should go out with a small nudge. Tighten just a bit and then try the starter in Neutral and Park. You may lose one or the other.

Hopefully your shifter is in good shape with good bushings and not slopping all over the place. You can do the above under the car with a volt ohm meter also.

Sometimes the switch is just sloppy and bad. Easy to replace.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2021, 10:28 AM   #26
Tequila

My Garage
Thanks Rob. Appreciate the helpful info. We should be troubleshooting it this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
The neutral safety switch/backup light switch has a finite adjustment. On your car it is on the transmission where the linkage hooks onto the tranny from the shifter. It has two 1/4 20bolts holding it on and has oval holes for adjustment by turning it.

Jack the car up to gain access and have your lovely wife sit in the car. Does it start in Park? Does it start in neutral? If so it is close. The reverse light maybe on in Park or Neutral. Find out which one lights it up. Then loosen and "nudge" the switch one way or another why your lovely assistant watches the reverse light. It should go out with a small nudge. Tighten just a bit and then try the starter in Neutral and Park. You may lose one or the other.

Hopefully your shifter is in good shape with good bushings and not slopping all over the place. You can do the above under the car with a volt ohm meter also.

Sometimes the switch is just sloppy and bad. Easy to replace.

Rob

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions