• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 "Shelby Tribute" was a GT/CS???

speedy02

selling 1968 shelby mustang gt 350
Tribute car 302 v-8,auto. not 100%. needs minor repairs. this one includes signed carrol shelby dash.also has shelby center console & shifter.gt 350 steering wheel. fiberglass front end and deck lid. California car, title was originally california. Car was a california special. Vin number is 8R01C105983 Front end suspension all redone all new parts, rear bearings new. 16,500 OBO no trades please. Have too many toys ..
new tank & sender
new coil
new voltage regulator
ignition coil

Can load more pics if you want or can come to look at. thanks.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3168779901.html

Mosesatm

Speedy,
105983 is way too early for it to be a GT/CS.

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

I agree just funny to read stating car was a california special maybe a clone converted.

68CaliSp

Probably some kind of reproduction; that VIN shows up as a hardtop. All the Shelby's are fastbacks and started as S codes or were built as R codes.

gt/csj4

Probably some kind of reproduction; that VIN shows up as a hardtop. All the Shelby's are fastbacks and started as S codes or were built as R codes.

Incorrect. All Shelby's did NOT start life as 'S' codes or 'R' codes and only as fastbacks. 68' was the first year (production wise) for the convertible, and could be ordered as a GT-500 (Big block) OR a GT-350 (Small block which received hopped up J code 302 4v's) and the small blocks did not start life as a S or R code big block fastbacks or convertibles. You could get a small block GT-350 as a convt' or fastback and GT-500 in either or as well. (lets not leave out the GT-500KR's) . If memory serves me correct the GT-500's all started out as "S'' code mustang fastbacks/convt. and either recieved either the 428 (shelby vin S) or 428 cj (Shelby vin R also known as the GT-500KR)Not a connoisseur fully to Shelby's so bare with me. Upon some research after typing this, i found out that some gt-350's AND 500's left with window VIN's of 'C' codes too, but obviously later bucked differently (and door tags not matching) with the affiliated motors haha so i guess they really changed everything around back then

Also note that Shelby DID make an experimental hardtop(s) although none made it to production know as " EXP-500 Green Hornet" (which still survives today) Now if you were talking about 65,66, or 67 Shelby's, then yes you would be correct that they were only sold as fastbacks (although there is proof of experimental 66 convertibles built, one Shelby owned personally, the others were given to some staff he worked closely with... and of course a 67 convertible shelby prototype that actually was featured in july's 2012 Mustang Monthly)

Unless your meaning is misinterpreted by myself, i believe this is what you were implying?

Last edited:

sportyworty

The 66 Verts are not considered "experimental" they are and always have been listed in the registry.

68CaliSp

Yeah, my knowledge of Shelby’s is limited. I figured there would be a lot more to it, but made the mistake of not adding a caveat before I clicked post. :undecided

gt/csj4

That's why youre here, so you learn new everyday. I learn all sorts of stuff from members on here i never knew.

Cheers