• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Alternator question

EBS

My son has added a new stereo system to our project California Special. Now the dash lights tend to blink off intermittently when the headlights are lit and I'm stepping on the brake. I plan to replace the headlight switch. My question, however, concerns a new, high output alternator. I'm thinking of the single wire unit offered by Mustangs Unlimited - Powermaster, 140 amp output, supposedly bolt-in ready. My understanding is that I hook up the single red BATT wire to the battery side of the starter solenoid and I'm good-to-go. Can I leave the old harness that runs with the headlight harness in place and simply disconnect the harness connections to the regulator on the left fender (F,S,A,I). I would like to preserve the option for return to original configuration. Will my ammeter still work? Thanks for any info.
Ed

Last edited:

rvrtrash

I doubt if your headlight switch is the problem with the blinking lights. It sounds like your son hooked into a wire he shouldn't have for the stereo. Does it do it with the stereo off? I'd look at that first. As for the alternator, I have no experience with those units, but I see no problem with leaving the existing harness in place, just tape off the ends. Ford ammeters don't read directly from the alternator, but rather read a difference voltage between two points on a wire in the main harness and determine current flow direction and intensity from that so changing the alternator wouldn't affect it. They do this so you don't have fires under the dash but it makes for a marginally effective gauge.

Steve

OP
OP
E

EBS

Thanks, Steve, for your comments. Upon closer exam the dash lights blink off intermittently (and the brake lights also) when the headlights are on, I'm stepping on the brake pedal, and the heater fan is turned on - even with the stereo system off. That's why I thought of the headlight switch on the basis of previous comments on this board, but am also concerned about the alternator output. Thanks for any further comments.
Ed