• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Driveshaft to long?

BrianS

I have a 68 gt/cs with a T5 trans and I was bolting up a 9'in rear end, I go to put the driveshaft back in and is almost 2'in to long. I was going to go to a machine shop to get my driveshaft shorten, but first I thought maby I shoud ask around first. please let me know if this is a good idea.
Open to any help...

joedls

[quote author=BrianS link=board=4;threadid=2241;start=0#msg15348 date=1129190281]
I have a 68 gt/cs with a T5 trans and I was bolting up a 9'in rear end, I go to put the driveshaft back in and is almost 2'in to long. I was going to go to a machine shop to get my driveshaft shorten, but first I thought maby I shoud ask around first. please let me know if this is a good idea.
Open to any help...
[/quote]

When I converted to a T5 in my 65 I had to shorten the driveshaft.

OP
OP
B

BrianS

when I install my T5 I only had to replace the yoke. and it fit perfectly.

rvrtrash

Your only other option is to buy an aluminum driveshaft. This would give you a stronger, lighter piece if you're building your car up.

Steve

OP
OP
B

BrianS

your right about that. I was not going to buy an aluminum driveshaft yet because of lack of funds at the time.
But since I converted my gt/cs into an EFI and T5 its probably
a good piece to match up with that 9'in.

nfrntau

You can purchase an aluminum driveshaft made for this application. Try darkhorse performance or cjponyparts.
I have read many times that the stock driveshaft must be shortened 1" and the yoke replaced with the correct yoke for the T-5.
I will be cutting and welding mine and then having a local shop rebalance the shaft before bolting it in.

OP
OP
B

BrianS

Thank you all for the useful info. If anyone else has tips or info please let me know before I shell out big $$$$$ for an aluminum driveshaft.