• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale EBAY listing - GT/CS CALIFORNIA SPECIAL-ORIGINAL

CougarCJ

That car has the knee pad.

How many of you have that? Partial year offering only, I believe.

Midnight Special

That car has the knee pad.

How many of you have that? Partial year offering only, I believe.

...My son's standard coupe has it. An early 8R01C108098...

Attachments

• n(2).jpg
    n(2).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 99

teamlo

Knee pad was phased out (among with other previously standard items) in an effort to cut costs after the UAW strike, sometime around December 1967. My December '67 build San Jose GT coupe does not have it. As 1968 marked the progression of increased safety features on the car, it always seemed a bit odd to me that they eliminated a feature that was supposedly a safety item.

Nicely optioned car though, and a great color combination!

Terry

ari guy

Ok guys Ive been looking quietly at 68 GT/CS's. I am bidding on this car at present. Ive gotten the owner to send me a Marti Report, everything seems to be correct in the discription, except the heavy duty suspension. It is a J code. c4 trans, 3:00 std axle, 5U Parchment knitted Decor, ps, pdb, am radio, interior decor group, delux belts, tinted glass, left remote mirror, chrome styled steel wheels. I only see that the stripes are too low on the front of the car, looks retrofitted on the ac (maybe added, not noted on the Marti report). No photos of the undercarriage, ie rusted floorboards or pans, or torx boxes. I would think as presentable as the car is these issues would have been addressed.
I dont know you guys personally, but I feel like I do know you and trust you and your opinions. Help me out collectively, ie Marty, Artie, Tim, Neil, Steve, Tim, Christian, Donna, and a host of others I have forgotten to list.........what is this car worth??? Please dont give the the ho-hum bs, 'its worth what you are willing to pay for it'. In todays market, with the cars the way they are selling, in this economy, what is this car worth. I might get twenty different answers........that is ok. I honor your thoughts and appreciate your advise on this manner. Thanks so much in advance. Doc

Mosesatm

One thing we do on this site is help each other out as much as possible, meaning if that car is near one of us we'll inspect it for you without you worrying about us buying it out from under you. (Well, if Neil will tell me where that Highland Green J-code is I may break that rule!!!:grin:)

We also won't bid on eBay items if we know another site member is bidding so ask away, post photos, attach the link, do whatever you need for us to get a better handle on the car. We've got your back.

My guess is that this auction will end up at just over $20K.

IMO this car does not have 14K original miles. I'm pretty sure it's been restored, or refreshed. Of course it could have 14K miles AND been restored.
The reason I say that is because the rear seat is missing the buttons and it has the GT exhaust tips, hub caps, and rear valance, but it also has 3.00 gears. Does the Marti show it as a GT?

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

I would say the car has been restored in the last few years. The engine compartment is the dead giveaway. Paint used on the aprons is too shiny. With that being said the carpet looks new ( no fading). The center console looks like it has been sprayed. AC system fittings look fairly new. These things all tell me it's been restored. I doubt it has 14 k original miles but a good way to figure that out is to look underneath.

I'd say if the paint in person is nice looking the car would be worth 17-20k to me.

ari guy

The marti report does not mention gt suspension, nor does it mention airconditioning. I agree on the other remarks, this is NOT an original 14k mile car, might be a restored
114k mile car though. It was originally sold to a ford dealer in Reno, Nv. If what was said about the first owner had it for twenty years and his wife would not drive it much,etc,etc,etc that would mean the car was near Reno I would assume. Therefore should have great pans and tork boxes, (unless the cowl leaked inside), but desert is hell on interiors and paint on these cars also..... Just sayin No GT on the marti. Thanks for the input so far, hope to hear from more of 'you all'. Doc

Ruppstang

As others have said this is a restored car and most likely 114K miles. Here is my list. Polished wide grill moldings, no AC horn, incorrect AC hose routing, wrong tirm caps on interior rear quarter covers, no deluxe buttons on rear seat, bad gasket on RH back up light, no spare hold down, jack? red paint on the gt hub caps not a GT. has front bumperetts none on rear. Late build car to have them at all.
All and all a nice looking car. I would not buy it without seeing the under side and doing a water test on the cowl. I think it is worth 18-22K with a inspection. Marty

franklinair

I'd use the "ask the seller a question" link, and ask: "Are there any rust issues on this car: floorpans, cowls, body, torqueboxes, frame." I'd want the answer in writing, just as a precaution. I agree on the $17K-$20K value provided everything checks out OK. Anyone near enough to go look at it for Doc?
It's at $17,700 now. The Buy-it-now of $29,900 is not realistic IMHO.

Neil

Timmknz

Prices

Yep, I agree. When I sold mine earlier this year, it went for 15K. Arlie and Amy can give you an idea of its general condition, and while it is a good car, it was not great. For a nicely done restoration, 20-25k seems reasonable, above 25 should be perfect.
IMHO
Tim

ari guy

Thanks guys for your input thus far. Also thanks for pointing out several small things that I missed on my assessment of the car. I would love to do a hands on, to touch and feel the car for imperfections and hidden grimlins that want to rear their ugly heads as soon as the money is exchanged and the title is in my hand!!! Unfortunately Im 1700 miles away. I too am concerned the buy it now price is closely attached to the reserve on this car, thus it may get to roll through ebay a couple of times with an unrealistic reserve. Im getting a consensus of 15k to 22k for the car thus far on range limits. Gees I wish it was a true GT car. I will ask the seller to send photos of the underside of the car and aggree to documentation of no rust on the pans, rockers, tork boxes, etc. Again thank you each and every one for your opinions and would encourage more in the way of good, bad, and ugly on this car as you see it. Thanks again, Doc

Ruppstang

While there are things to be checked out, you would hard pressed to restore a car to that level for less than 20K. Marty

rvrtrash

As others have said, there are a lot of details that say this car has been restored. Shocks, lettering on the rad. hoses, etc. That's not necessarily bad, but it's not a survivor. It is a nice looking car that needs some touch up. I would say $18-20K, but like others, I'd want to look at the underside first. If I was inspecting it in person, I'd also look under the dash around the vents for signs of heavy rust and do the water test previously mentioned. Good luck.

Steve

sportyworty

I think the term high desert regarding Reno may be technically corrrect however mountainous with tons of snow also is correct. The barn find makes me suspicious of the seller. Obviously a cosmetically restored car. Like others have stated it is pretty and if always a solid car cannot be replicated for less than 20K. Best of luck