• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

FAQ: GT Option cars? GT or NOT a GT?

carvensno

To the many readers we have in here and to some of the not so many readers in here.

This question happens to appear alot and has alot of different answers that always seem to need to be answered by Paul and Bob. And there are threads in here that explain his stuff if people would read the forms!

Thats what they are here for, is for information so that what ever questions a person might have about there car or of a car that other can benefit from the same info given.

To Paul, Bob and the Admin, do you think you might be able to post like a frequently asked questions or just post what qualify's a GT/CS as having a GT package?

I know Paul and Bob are prob. tired of having to answer the same questions over and over again when people can just do some research and read!

Sorry if i step on anybodys toes making these comments! ::)

hicountrybob

Re:GT Option cars? GT or NOT a GT?

Thanks,1GT/CS Fresno! nicely said!!!! also, thanks to Sunlitegold Doug for sharing so much Class 101 info (I see you really do your homework well and know your cars)
Now, for Murf of Pawnee, 68GT390 of Ohio, Sarge of Bay area,and others of you who want the straight "skinny" on the 68 GT pkg, the following is from an Aptil 29, 1968 FORD MANUFACTURER'S LABEL PRICE booklet of 48 pgs in length. This booklet was carried by Ford sales people in their shirt pocket (along with their Camels or Lucky Strikes).

GT Equipment Group (incl. Duel Exhaust System with Bright Extensions, Fog Lamps, GT Ornamentation, F70x14 wide oval WSW Tires, HD Suspension. GT "C" stripe; Argent Styled Steel Wheels with Chrome Trim Ring, GT Letters on Hub, Pop-open Gas Cap, and Chrome Engine Trim on 390'' 4V or 428" 4V 8-Cyl. Engine; Power Disc Brakes req. at extra cost with 390'' 4V or 428'' 4V V8; Avail. with 302'' 4V or 390'' 2V V8; required at extra cost with 390'' 4V or 428 4V V8's; N/A with Optional Wheel Covers) $146.71 READERS; NOTICE THAT 2ND LINE FROM THE END WAS A 'FORD' REPEAT ERROR. all for now, hope this gets us all on the same page. Read prev posts and buy a Mustang Secret Decoder Book for $4.95 for good info, also, hardbacks more expensive, some proper, many not, especially those foreign guys that just repeat non-updated info. next to come from me will be the DECOR GROUP, INTERIOR lowdown, unless one of you guys will do it soon. Bye, I'm out of gas. Bob Teets

darb

I believe that booklet reviews the GT options for a non GT/CS vehicle, simply a standard 1968 Mustang.

(The GT/CS wouldn't come with a C-Stripe, nor was the fog lights an added option...etc.)

Brad

hicountrybob

You're so right, Brad. I also overlooked stating that those buyers of "standard" Mustangs who wanted the GT package AND the GT/CS package ALSO paid double for tape, gas and center caps, and fog lamps because the GT/CS equipment group over rode these items in the GT package. By the way, the GT/CS equip. package did cost $194.31 and included 11 items (this info for new guys to this site. THANKS, BRAD. I appreciate you. Bob

68sunlitgold

Since Bob started it, I thought I would join in on option groups.

Interior Decor Group:
- Woodgrain instrument panel appliques
- Woodgrain steering wheel and woodgrain on center pad
- Doors: 2-tone door panels with door pulls, woodgrain strip in center, larger molded arm rest; grilles that include red/white courtesy lights (optional speakers with AM/FM radio)
- Bright trim on pedals
- Chrome rectangular buttons in the seat backs
- Roof Console with woodgrain center
- Padded quarter trim panels (hardtop only)
- Vinyl grip on handle for automatic transmission or woodgrain knob on manual transmission

Courtesy Light Group:
- Underhood
- Trunk
- Glove Box (also lock)
- Underdash (hardtop only, convertibles are standard)

Protection Group:
- Color-keyed rubber floor mats (front & back)
- Door edge guards
- Chrome license plate frames

Reflective Group: (on GT optioned cars only)
- Reflective GT "C" stripe
- Relfective paint on styled wheels

There are other groups (packages), but this give everyone a good idea of what was available in '68. There was also a Exterior Decor Group (one part was the very desireable back panel grille) for '67 but according to reports it was discontinued in '68 however Kevin Marti's book reports there where 10 cars with this option.

Doug

Sarge

Thanks Doug,
After I spent about an hour and a half yesterday trying to find the "threads" that 1 GT/CS says are there if I bother to look, I have my answers. And no, I never did find the answer of what a deluxe interior consisted of before your response. Again, thanks for being such a "fountain of knowledge" for us newer enthusiasts.
Robert

68sunlitgold

I found this in one of my books reguarding the Exterior Decor Group for '67:
- Wheel lip moldings
- Louvered hood
- Rear deck and Quarter panel molding
- Pop-open gas cap

The back panel grille was not in this option but could only be purchased in conjuction with it.

As you can notice, it is understandable why it was not offered in '68 because half of the items where standard at the start of '68 (louvered hood and deck/quarter panel molding). I say at the start, because the louvered hood became an option around Jan to save money after the Ford auto-workers strike.

Doug

68sunlitgold

2 more packages for '68 where the Sprint Specials:

Sprint A (on either 6 or 8 cylinders):
- GT stripe
- Pop-open gas cap
- Wheel lip moldings
- Full wheel covers

Sprint B (on V8 only)
- GT stripe
- Pop-open gas cap
- Wheel lip moldings
- Argent styled wheels
- Fog lights

Neither of these options where avialable with the GT/CS or HCS mainly because almost all the Sprint options where replaced by the CS or HCS ones.

Doug

68gt390

Guess it's time I ring in on this one also. Not to take anything away from highcountrybob (who is a wealth of knowledge) but, check your factory installed GT options package and you'll see that from the factory they came with Argent Styled Steel Wheels with "Brushed Aluminum Hubcaps with GT logo in red letters and Brushed Aluminum trim rings" not chrome. The chrome styled steel wheels were a dealer installed option at extra cost.

Don

P

PNewitt

GT or Not GT?

Do I HAVE to answer this one AGAIN???

oh. you guys have this covered (you're all 110% accurate)

thanks!

Paul.

Mustanger

I've read the GT description noted above (and in some other threads), but I would like to know more specifically what upgrades did the GT option have over a standard Mustang when it comes to the Heavy Duty Suspension? E.g., spring rates, thicker front sway bar, better shocks, etc. ?? I'm still learning all of this as a "Newbie" so go easy on me ;)

Mosesatm

Not to change the subject but are you still looking for a GT/CS or have you found one? I saw one advertised the other day somewhere in California and thought you might like it. If you are still looking let me know and I'll see if I can find it again.

Sorry, everyone, you can (still can't say y'all) go back to the GT suspension topic.

Mustanger

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=989;start=0#msg10404 date=1115839878]
I've read the GT description noted above (and in some other threads), but I would like to know more specifically what upgrades did the GT option have over a standard Mustang when it comes to the Heavy Duty Suspension? E.g., spring rates, thicker front sway bar, better shocks, etc. ?? I'm still learning all of this as a "Newbie" so go easy on me ;)
[/quote]

Hey - I guess I just went from "Newbie" to "Jr. Member" ;D
Anyway, can someone describe what the GT suspension/handling package included? Thanks :)

68gt390

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=989;start=0#msg10506 date=1116005069]
[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=989;start=0#msg10404 date=1115839878]
[/quote]

Hey - I guess I just went from "Newbie" to "Jr. Member" ;D
Anyway, can someone describe what the GT suspension/handling package included? Thanks :)
[/quote]

The GT suspension package consisted of the following:
1. Heavy Duty Leaf Springs
2. Heavy duty front coil springs
3. 7/18" or 15/16" diameter front sway bar
4. Heavy duty shock obsorbers

Hope this info helps.

Don ;)

Mustanger

Yes, thanks, Don. Would you know if in '68 Shelby did anything to improve on the GT suspension? I think that by now (i.e., '68) Ford stopped the "Shelby Drop" mod, right?
Anyway, just trying to find out, thanks :)

Mustanger

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=989;start=0#msg10594 date=1116339880]
Yes, thanks, Don. Would you know if in '68 Shelby did anything to improve on the GT suspension? I think that by now (i.e., '68) Ford stopped the "Shelby Drop" mod, right?
Anyway, just trying to find out, thanks :)
[/quote]

I think I found the answer to my question:

http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/68_shelby_info.htm

I could use a little more detail, but I think I know what the website is saying :).