• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Firewall to Hood Seal Question

stangfan

I am about to replace my seal with a new Daniel Carpenter piece. It looks to be very well made and replicates the original very well. I am uncertain about how to install the clips into the seal. I had hoped that they were already installed, but the clips are separate. I assume that I remove the old seal and replicate the mounting clip locations, but what is the best way to install the clips into the seal? :confused:

Ruppstang

Steve I start by making a small cut that one side of the tee fastener will push in to then stretch it till the other side goes in. then simple push the bottom in the hole. I start with one of the ends and after the first one is installed you can measure the next and so on till finished.
Good luck it is not that hard.
Marty

franklinair

I just used a small knife, making a slit in the new seal and inserted the flat tangs of the new plastic clips into the seal. I made the slits small so the clips would fit snugly into the seal.

Neil

rvrtrash

Ditto what Neil and Marty said, and I use an exacto knife.

Steve

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Well that WAS easy. The OCD in me took over though. I taped the old seal to the new one, just to be sure I put the clips in the exact right spot. I also used a drop of 303 Aerospace Protectant on each clip to help ease them through the surface of the rubber when I installed them. Before installing, I wiped the seal down with 303 to help preserve it. The new seal looks so much better than the old ratty one! :grin: