• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Front Suspension- Upper control Arm Shaft question

miller511

Hi All,

I dove into the teardown portion of the front supension today. After getting the left side upper control arm off the car, I realized that the rebuild components do not match what came on the car.

There appears to be two different types of shaft assemblies. One with the rubber bushings on the left and the (new) screw-in type that have the zerk fittings on the ends (They aren't shown installed on my picture) on the right. Are these interchangeable? They don't appear to be. But I thought I'd ask you folks if you've run into this.

Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• MustangSuspension1.JPG
    MustangSuspension1.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

nfrntau

My upper control arms have the hex type shaft ends. Both the originals that came off the car and the replacements I reinstalled.

hcsstang

Some of the upper control arm comes with three rivits holding the ball socket on and the orginal came with four rivits. One end was natural.

rvrtrash

My original control arms and the replacements both had the hex nut type end also. I believe the new one would work just fine on yours. To tell the truth, I don't see how your existing setup would keep the control arm from moving around on the shaft.

Steve

somethingspecial

Jeff, When you put the new Control arm shaft on the control arm, it is easier to press the two mounting studs out of the shaft (if you have a press) before you assemble the shaft to the control arm. you have two things working against you if you don't. The hex end threads onto the shaft, and the hex threads into the contol arm. If the studs are not in place, it is easier to then center the shaft as you can turn it in place. With the studs installed, you can't turn them. If you need help, PM me and I will try to explain better.
You might want to see if your control arm has the threads in them to accept the hex. I have never seen your type before. Mike

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

All,

Thanks for the input. After much studying of the upper control arm, it looks as though the new hex-end type shaft will not work with existing control arm. The hex ends have a threaded outer that would have to screw into a threaded inner of the existing control arm. There are no threads on the control arm.

So, I went ahead and ordered new control arms today that will work with the hex-end shafts.

I like this design vs. the what came off the car in that these have zerk fittings and will be lube-able.

Thanks again, Jeff

nfrntau

I think you will find the supplied zerk fittings when installed will not allow the assembly to fit in the shock tower (almost but not quite). The zerk fittings that came with my replacement upper control arms made the assembly to wide to fit.
I bought a set of "Slim" zerk fitting from Laurel Mountain Mustang for $14.90 including the shipping. If you don't like them, I'm sure the other Mustang suppliers carry them also.
I've included a photo.
Hope this saves you a little frustration.
Good luck

Attachments

• DSCF1269.JPG
    DSCF1269.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks nfrtau,

I'll see what kind of clearance I have.

What's also interesting is that my shock towers have nice round holes right where the pivot point is for the shafts. The holes look factory (I've seen some pics from others that looked "torched thru"). But mine look like they came that way. And the upper control arm shaft assembly that I just took off doesn't even have anything to lube...just rubber bushings. Almost 39 years have passed. I suppose a lot of things could have been modified.

-Jeff

nfrntau

Those holes were added after the fact. You are lucky they did a nice job. Mine were torched. I chose to fill in the holes for a factory look.
With the holes there you should have the clearance you need.

J_Speegle

Its not unusual to find that a PO has drilled or cut access holes in the shock towers for the zert fitting that added to the upper A arms (90 degree ones dont always fit and are not as easy to install.

At this point you can weld up the holes or if the hole is clean enough many owners just find a rubber pug to insert into the holes too you get to them. Makes for a "near" factory look ;)

Plenty of different size plugs can be found that were originally used on these cars. From engine compartment ones to floor pan plugs.

Mosesatm

J_Speegle said:
Its not unusual to find that a PO has.....

In our company we use the letters "FO" for "former owner", of course.:grin: