• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Headrests

Minyip

Would like to ask opinions on purchasing a set of the original headrests that were fitted to the California Specials, I have found a set for sale but am concerned that being as old as they are, that the padding may need replacing, is there any chance that this may be the case?
They are being sold as NEW in the original FOMOCO box.
I have not seen a lot of them, especially here in Australia, my other concern is that compared to those in later Mustangs they do not look as well fitted or as secure .
I would be happy to hear from anyone with original headrests or who has had any problems
Phil (MINYIP)

somethingspecial

The 1968 Ford Head Rests were a one year only design. They were hard molded headrests usually molded in the interior color and used a two post mounting system. The female detent ball bracket was unique to the Mustang seat for that application. It had plastic escussion pieces which screwed into the top of the seat hardware and were very prone to breaking. The headrest portion was also prone to cracking, especially at the bottom, over time and heat. If you are talking about the blue pair for sale on the internet, the ones I found are the dealer installed accessory, which were different from the FACTORY installed headrests. To find an original Factory installed set of headrests, they could run as high as $1,000.00 USD. If you like the look of the headrests, I suggest using a pair of 69' headrests. The 68' headrests can not be re upholstered, where 69s can. Worth looking into. Hope this helps, clear as mud?

Attachments

• something special photo shoot QM 124.jpg
    something special photo shoot QM 124.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Minyip

Minyip

Thanks Mike, they were the Blue ones that you mentioned, I thought they looked a bit prone to breakage. So I will take your advise and go to the 69.
Phil

Mosesatm

Just to be clear, not all California Specials had headrests. I'm not sure if that's what you meant with your first sentence but since that's how I read it I wanted to clear up any confusion.

franklinair

I shop for, and use '69 seatbacks with headrests. As previously stated they can be recovered:

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0191 (2).jpg
    IMG_0191 (2).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 26
S

slimt

the CS I have from what I read on the Marti .. came with the headrests as a option..

franklinair

Perhaps if you remove the hard cover on the back of the seats you can see if the headrest receptacles are still in place.

Neil

dalorzo_f

TMI makes new covers for the 68s. They are a different size than the 69s. Also, when seeing "in the box" NOS 68s, the only ones I have ever seen are the strap-on-the-back-of-the-seat bolt on dealer add-ons, not factory style with the two posts into the backrest and the very breakable slider mounts that bolt into the frame.

If you go for '69 style, I have kits made to bolt on the single post headrests to the '68 seat backs. PM me if interested.

whodat

Somebody offered me a pair of 69 headrest for $50 plus shipping. It's just the headrest. If your interested let me know and maybe you can work something out with the seller and I'll let him know. If not I'm sure someone here might.

S

slimt

this is mine..

This is the from the Marti.. But I do have the original..sticker as well..