• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lucas fog light wiring connector?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm disassembling the front end of my '68 HCS so I can do some sheet metal repair under the battery tray (where it's corroded/rusted away to swiss cheese).

As I was unplugging the Lucas fog lights I was a little surprised that the wiring connector wasn't the typical single piece rubber on both ends. The connector on the car side is a standard single piece, but the wires coming from the fog light side are just separate wires (one male, one female).

Is this how they were originally? I very strongly believe the wiring on this car hasn't been messed with. I've owned it for 28 years and this is the first time I've unplugged them. And I bought the car from the original owner, who was not the type to mess with anything.

fog lights 230205 (16).jpg
fog lights 230205 (11).jpg

Also, I wasn't aware that there were small square plates under the grille trim, directly under the mounting pedestals. Presumably these are spacers to keep the pedestal bolt from dimpling the grille trim when it's tightened. The spacers have a slightly raised lip at the rear and were sitting in what looks like a bit of sealant on the rear.

fog lights 230205 (6).jpg
fog lights 230205 (5).jpg

fog lights 230205 (2).jpg
fog lights 230205 (4).jpg

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Here are a few more photos of the fog lights for reference.

fog lights 230205 (18).jpg
fog lights 230205 (8).jpg
fog lights 230205 (9).jpg

fog lights 230205 (7).jpg
fog lights 230205 (13).jpg
fog lights 230205 (12).jpg

Last edited:

Mosesatm

My four sets of early lights all have different ends so I'm no help. It looks like people tend to cut the wires when removing the lights. Here is a photo of my car-side connector.
There should be two flat washers per light to act as a solid sandwich.

Attachments

• Lucas Details 1.jpg
    Lucas Details 1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7348.jpg
    IMG_7348.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Ruppstang

Jon what you have pictured is the correct connector. It was Fords way of adapting the Lucas fog light to the standard GT fog light wiring.