• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Roll call

somethingspecial

OK folks, It is ROLL CALL TIME:
Lets hear from you. If you own a GT/CS, I want to hear about it's current status. Is it a Concours Show car/Trailer Queen, or a Daily Driver. Is it disassembled waiting for, or currently being restored. What are you doing with it. Lets hear from you. GUESTS, What are you doing here, do you have a GT/CS? Are you looking for one, or is it on your Wish List? Log on and let's hear from you too. For those who used to be active members/family, dust off those key boards and let's hear what you have been up to.

My Concours 390GT/4Spd car is tucked away in it's bed until next spring. I just cleaned up my C code Copper colored car and have been driving it lately and WOW, I forgot how much fun it is to drive it. I have a new carpet for it and will be installing it soon. Looking at an engine swap with a 68' J code motor soon and with any luck, I will have a 5 speed to install with it. Just put a 68 am/fm radio in it and have a 8000 rpm clock/mini tach for it as well.

NOW, Lets hear from you.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Plain Jane C code, C4. Vinyl roof is about the most "exotic" option... a "semi-survivor" as I call it. One family car in Cal, bought by a guy in Oz to flip, to me...

Regular driver, due to space issues keep outside with a cover. A good "10 footer".

Due for some TLC.

Planning on pulling the engine, fixing some shock tower cuts to access grease zerks by a PO, detailing engine bay, repainting engine, some other touch-ups.

Scratch back the OK paint and some minor body work for door dings and a few blemishies, and a simple remove-the-trim-and mask-the-rest respray, but not worth the bare-metal-nuts-and-bolts resto I did to my S codes in the next year... or three... or ....

green56

My 68 GT/CS the only thing that is different is it has power stearing it is time to put it away for this yeaLTill APIRL of 12 I just hate to see almost 6 months of cold and snow

gazrox

My Cal Special has undergone a total restoration and is nearing completion. Just need to put the interior in and it will have its unveiling at the Draggins Car Show at Easter weekend 2012.

whoever coined the phrase "poor mans Shelby"? maybe they meant poor man after you've restored one! lol

Attachments

• Oct16_2011A.jpg
    Oct16_2011A.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46

CougarCJ

Under restoration, currently at the body shop. I have a thread.

DLedin

Daily driver in nice condition. Kept in a garage. Driven once a week to "excercise" it. No plans for restoration.

-DLedin

our special

Our '68 GT/CS is not a daily driver but we drive and show it as much as we can, usually between May and Oct. ....on a good year. Whenever we can we will take it on our vacation to do a road trip. Love driving vacations and a great way to meet people.

We are the second owners and we restored our GT/CS in 95/96 and have driven it about 50,000 miles since then. Still looks pretty nice. Goes to show that you can drive them and keep them looking good too.

Dave

Midnight Special

...Nice thread Mike!
'Still driving a 'Stang every day and thoroughly enjoying this era in life! 'Did a few local shows over summer along side TJ's two and Renee's "Stevenson/Foster"... 'Mostly drove the red-S, white-J, Black-C and red-Mach with the others "stored serviceable".

It's been more about maintenance for us than restoration at this point including a few visitors from other owners. TJ will be selling his blue coupe and I have someone who really wants the '66 "yard goat". so they will be sold.

TJ also just returned from SoCal, a personal tour of Jay Leno's Garage, special invite to the Tonight Show and interview with family of racing legend, George Barringer, having met a friend of Leno's while detailing high-end cars! The boy is really moving up with his passions and brought back a ton of photos and history..... Life is good with all things Special :)

So glad you're out enjoying your "show-stopper Copper"! Keep up the good work :)

Attachments

• DSCN2262.jpg
    DSCN2262.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0284.jpg
    DSC_0284.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0310.jpg
    DSC_0310.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IM001827.jpg
    IM001827.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_5110.jpg
    DSC_5110.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_5039.jpg
    DSC_5039.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4100.jpg
    DSC_4100.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2441.jpg
    DSCN2441.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35

hookedtrout

C Code three speed, 20 year old faded Acapulco Blue paint and I'm fine with that. Spent some years out in the weather after a divorce because I gave her the truck and I kept the CS had to be my daily for awhile.

Has been inside for the past 15 or so years and is currently tucked in my new 54x36 shop and I get it out and run around for fun when ever I have the urge. Took it to a movie the other day and had a note on the window from someone wanting to buy it. Didn't return the call for obvious reasons.

No plans on a restoration at this time I'm just enjoying it when I can. Too many other things on my priority list above it at this time. Someday maybe, if not I'll play with it and pass it on to my eldest and he can either play with it, restore it or sell it or whatever turns his crank.

And I'd like to thank ya'll for the company over the years, I've met several of you and the rest are just a names in a PC but I consider you all friends, it's probably more important to me than the car itself!

Mosesatm

C Code three speed, 20 year old faded Acapulco Blue paint and I'm fine with that. Spent some years out in the weather after a divorce because I gave her the truck and I kept the CS had to be my daily for awhile.

Has been inside for the past 15 or so years and is currently tucked in my new 54x36 shop and I get it out and run around for fun when ever I have the urge. Took it to a movie the other day and had a note on the window from someone wanting to buy it. Didn't return the call for obvious reasons.

No plans on a restoration at this time I'm just enjoying it when I can. Too many other things on my priority list above it at this time. Someday maybe, if not I'll play with it and pass it on to my eldest and he can either play with it, restore it or sell it or whatever turns his crank.

And I'd like to thank ya'll for the company over the years, I've met several of you and the rest are just a names in a PC but I consider you all friends, it's probably more important to me than the car itself!

I've got one the note writer can buy!

hookedtrout

I've got one the note writer can buy!

As old and faded as mine is I'm sure he's thinking he could steal it for a bargain. I'm not positive who it was but I have an idea, we have a local Mustang collector that started a business in town (not car related) and his business is doing very well so he may be rolling in the cash if it is the same guy.

Do you want the number? I have it at home.

TraveledGTCS

My 68 GT/CS is currently in the shop - at A Mustang Ranch, in Eatonville, WA - waiting to be painted and having the radiator recored. It's primarily an occasional driver however I have over 485,000 miles on it. I say "I" since I've owned it since new. It's an Acapulco Blue 302 4bbl C-4 Automatic with dealer installed hood tach requested when I bought it. Upgrades include disc brakes, upper & lower consoles. Hope to turn the 1/2 million mile this coming year with a couple long trips - to the Golden Gate Show in June, and either the International Mustang Meet in Winnipeg, Manitoba or the Sturges Show - both Labor Day weekend. There will be several local shows begining in April through October which I will be attending also.

Bill

GT/CS S Code

Status report ...

Great thread idea Mike!
Our Candy Apple Red "S" code 390 4 speed car is at about 85% finished to my way of thinking. It is one of the 111 390 4 speed cars that were produced (27 of those in Candy Apple Red). We've incorporated some slight resto-mods as it is a car intended to be driven and enjoyed, and not hauled around on a trailer! It is currently a good 10 footer, with paint that is now about 15 years old and it has numerous small nicks, scratches, and blemishes. Our mechanic friend had a very crazy year so we didn't get a chance to install the new Tri Y headers and re-install the power steering yet, but maybe next year if things settle down for him we'll get those chores done. At that point we'll be pretty much done and it will be driven as much as possible during decent weather and shown when we have the time to attend those types of events. We showed the car several times this summer and had a great response from the general public and other car owners, including our very first "best in show" award at a local event sponsored by our Victoria Mustang club.

Attachments

• Log House Pub Hot Rod & Harley show September 10th 2011 132.jpg
    Log House Pub Hot Rod & Harley show September 10th 2011 132.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Canadian Tire Victoria Mustang Club Show & Shine June 12th  2011 004 (Medium).jpg
    Canadian Tire Victoria Mustang Club Show & Shine June 12th 2011 004 (Medium).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Canadian Tire Victoria Mustang Club Show & Shine June 12th  2011 059 (Medium).jpg
    Canadian Tire Victoria Mustang Club Show & Shine June 12th 2011 059 (Medium).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Driveway rebuild.jpg
    Driveway rebuild.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1668 resized.jpg
    IMG_1668 resized.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Rebuilt interior resized.jpg
    Rebuilt interior resized.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Torquemaster Collector Car Show Sidney 2011 001.jpg
    Torquemaster Collector Car Show Sidney 2011 001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 40
  • Show & Shine June 13 027 resized.jpg
    Show & Shine June 13 027 resized.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Blethering Place Collector Car Show 2011 088 (Medium).jpg
    Blethering Place Collector Car Show 2011 088 (Medium).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 29

franklinair

I'm in the process of 'resurecting' a Highland Green GT/CS that I acquired about 6 months ago: J code, A/T, PS, A/C, Console. The PR (previous restorer) did a nice job cosmeticly (sheet metal & paint) but left a LOT to be desired to make it a nice driver quality. I'm re-doing the interior back to the original Nugget Gold color. Had to replace sheetmetal in both front floorboards. Next will be upgrading the A/C to a rotary compressor and converting it to R-134, installing a new PB booster, but maintaining the original drum brakes. A hundred & one minor glitches in the car, easily corrected. A fun project with no heavy repairs needed. Then I'll sell it, get another one, and do it all over again!! For me, the "fun" is fixing them more so than driving them.:eek: (I was raised in a garage, worked for my dad, and I guess its still in my system.)

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 114.jpg
    Green GTCS 114.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Green GTCS 002.jpg
    Green GTCS 002.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Gosh, This is great. Arlie had a great idea, Let's see pics of just how they are NOW. Don't take boxes off the car, don't wash it, Don't put the dash back together for a pic, AS IS, WHERE IS. Let's hear more. Thanks.

Mosesatm

Welll, since this was my idea I guess I'll be the first to be embarrassed.

The one with the beach towel top is a C-code. It's a great driver quality car but the FFO (former former owner) installed disc brakes without installing a booster, the proper master cylinder, or the proper pedal, so I'm working on fixing that mess. Actually I messed up that mess even worse but I'll fix that this weekend. The brakes work great but they won't release without pulling up on the pedal!!!

The one with the vinyl top is a J-code, GT, 4-speed (now a 5-speed), deluxe interior, driver. It's Autolite 4300 just blew up so I am putting a rebuilt 4100 on it until Rob can work his magic!

Attachments

• C-code 1.jpg
    C-code 1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 45
  • C-code 2.jpg
    C-code 2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 47
  • J-code.jpg
    J-code.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Maine gt/cs

Mine was born a candy apple red J code with a 4 speed.About 10 years ago, someone changed the car to White and to an automatic. I have since in the last 6 months have put the 4 speed back in and I am changing the color back to candy apple red this winter. The car also has a center console, and rear window defogger. Can't wait to get it back on the road.

tclark

My 68

My 68 has been mostly in garage since we have owned it about 2 years.
great car just not using it much, only showed 2 times last year at Ashville Biltmore (2nd place) then couple of weeks ago at local mustang show (1st)
I've been thinking about putting it up for sale, just can't make up my mind.
Great car. I found it on this site from previous owner (Casey).

Perkchiro

My car is perched up on a lift, neglected and not driven for 6 months. The poor baby gets little attention these days. Too busy with work and lots of other persisting issues. But some day soon..............:smile:

Attachments

• Calionlift.jpg
    Calionlift.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36

Mosesatm

My 68 has been mostly in garage since we have owned it about 2 years.
great car just not using it much, only showed 2 times last year at Ashville Biltmore (2nd place) then couple of weeks ago at local mustang show (1st)
I've been thinking about putting it up for sale, just can't make up my mind.
Great car. I found it on this site from previous owner (Casey).

Would that be this car?

Attachments

• CD Case.jpg
    CD Case.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 30