• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007+ Tilt away steering

Willy 1

Hi guy's I am working on a 1967 mustang and need some information. The car has tilt away steering but it is not working properly. Here is what I have diagnosed so far.
1 I have vacuum as far as the vacuum release valve.
2 I have power to the vacuum release valve when the driver door is open.
3 If I hook vacuum directly to the vacuum motor it operates as it should
4 If I remove the vacuum line from the back of the vacuum motor there is never any vacuum there door open or closed. Engine running or not and in park.
So is the vacuum release valve faulty or have I missed something? Also if the tilt away has been tripped the car will not start so that switch is working.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ricky Knapik

Hi guy's I am working on a 1967 mustang and need some information. The car has tilt away steering but it is not working properly. Here is what I have diagnosed so far.
1 I have vacuum as far as the vacuum release valve.
2 I have power to the vacuum release valve when the driver door is open.
3 If I hook vacuum directly to the vacuum motor it operates as it should
4 If I remove the vacuum line from the back of the vacuum motor there is never any vacuum there door open or closed. Engine running or not and in park.
So is the vacuum release valve faulty or have I missed something? Also if the tilt away has been tripped the car will not start so that switch is working.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you're lucky, John Murphy, aka murf104 will see this. He knows the system very well!

speedy02

I found a few things.

1. Article-67Tilt
2. Post from Don Rush (WCCC Owner)
Don_Rush
May '19
Keep in mind you need to open up your vacuum actuated pull motor every 10 years or so and lubricate in side. It is just a 1/4 turn twist to get it open.
1685114914886.png

Attachments

• Article-67Tilt.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 42

Ruppstang

He said there is no vacuum coming through the vacuum switch so I think he knows what is wrong. There is a NOS one on Ebay for $350.

OP
OP
W

Willy 1

Update on my issue. Took the vacumn release valve out. That is not a fun job. Tested it on my work bench worked perfect. So I am thinking bad ground. There was no ground wire as such but I thought the mounting screw would be the ground. The screw goes into the steering column through the bracket on the valve but was not real tight. Does that sound possible? Guess I will find out when I put it back in.
Speedy02 took the vacumn motor apart and cleaned and lubed it. Needed it.