• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tilt-away steering

Mustanglvr

Is there any difference between the 1968 tilt-away steering wheel and the tilt steering? I have a 68 black tilt steering wheel on my car that tilts up and down. Are'nt they supposed to tilt to the side? What are they worth? What can go wrong with them? Thanks.

Ruppstang

There is no differance in the steering wheel tilt or not. Yes you are right they swing to the right when you open the door. There could be several reasons why it is not working. If you have a 68 service manual you can find a repair procedure. If not PM and I will try to help. I see them sell on ebay from 250-900 depending how compleate they are (there are many componants to the tilt system) and condition. Marty

BroadwayBlue

So all tilt wheels from the factory were also tilt-away (to the side)?

I didn't realize that - I always thought it was 2 different options. Tilt Only and Tilt with Tilt-away.

68 GTCS

I have tilt away in my California Special and my 67 Local Promotion Car. They are a nice option and get alot of attention.

Kevin

390cs68rcode

My CS came with a manual tilt column (not an option on my car so added by previous owner). I am 99% sure it does not go "away" it just goes up and down manually. It's definately a Ford column and looks like a Mustang but I guess it could be a Cougar?

BroadwayBlue

My CS came with a manual tilt column (not an option on my car so added by previous owner). I am 99% sure it does not go "away" it just goes up and down manually. It's definately a Ford column and looks like a Mustang but I guess it could be a Cougar?

Jason,
Any chance it's not hooked up to tilt away?
It does it automatically when the door opens I believe.
I don't think the "away" function is manual only the up/down is manual.

Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Ruppstang

The Mustang and Cougar used the same column. I think the previous owner did not have the complete system. Look under your column for a cable coming out, if you find it pull on it and it should release the wheel to swing away. Pull the wheel back down to relock it. It is a real nice option I would try to find the rest of it. Good Luck Marty

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Yes that is all of it. That is quiet a price they are asking! Are you thinking of selling yours?

Yes actually, the tilt away part is'nt hooked up and I still have the original saddle brown steering column, I just need the wheel. Maybe a Grant steering wheel would work.
I would'nt know what to ask for the set up. It's about the same condition as the one in the pics on the Cougar site. I will have to get pics when I get it out of storage. There's still a good sized drift of snow in front of the barn. :wink:

hotrodgrany

yes, here it is new

Attachments

• my pictures.jpg
    my pictures.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 38

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thank you!
I found this page. This is the set up I have without the cannister and door button.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/68tilt.html
Great link Rhonda. Thanks!

I've got 2 tilt columns that I collected parts for years and years ago, but there are so many parts that unless you really know your stuff it's very hard to tell if you've got everything. Those photos are perfect!

Ruppstang

Jon,
I have the Ford service manuals that have great drawings when you get ready. Marty

390cs68rcode

The Mustang and Cougar used the same column. I think the previous owner did not have the complete system. Look under your column for a cable coming out, if you find it pull on it and it should release the wheel to swing away. Pull the wheel back down to relock it. It is a real nice option I would try to find the rest of it. Good Luck Marty

I guess it's possible it's a "away" as well. I'd never hook up the away part, I don't like away but like the up and down.