• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Considering '68 CS- sitting for 15 years+

shamusj

Hello,
I'm new to this sight and really appreciate all the info. I own a '70 GS Stage 1 (please don't hold this against me). My neighbor is moving and much to my surprise there is a '68 CS coupe sitting in the back of her garage. Her husband passed several years ago and she needs to get rid of it.
Seeing as you guys are the experts- I'd appreciate your advice on how to review the car- what to look for/watch out for. Later this week I'll clear the garbage off it and get vins etc. Basically- no rust, no dents, wrong rims/tires, light green paint, looks to be correct trunk, side scoops and fog lights. Gas tank stinks like ripe gas, gas cap was stolen many years ago. Black Cal plates last registered in '89. All tires are flat as could be and accord to owner the front wheels have been locked up for years. It's been out of the weather forever and generally looks faded but clean. Automatic, V8(289?).
My Ford knowledge is faded- owned a '65 C-code (I think that's right) and haven't played with any cars in quite some time.
Really appreciate any help, guidance, tips, etc.
Any ideas what something like this is worth.
Great site!
Thanks,
Mike

StraightSix

The very first thing to look for is that the VIN starts with "8R01." This tells you that it's a '68 San Jose-built coupe, which all GT/CS's are.

The "Features" section of this site will tell you all of the GT/CS stuff to check for. That will clue you in as to what may be missing or incorrect on the car.

Other than that, check it over as you would any other 35 year-old car -- LOOK FOR RUST :) Take a magnet with you to detect hidden body damage that may lie under paint. I could go on, but there are exhaustive works already out there on this subject. Anyway, good luck and congrats on your fortunate find! Keep us informed.

-Winston

Mine sat for 23 years before I brought her home. Check to see if the engine turns over and look for mouse damage to the wiring (especially!) and interior upholstery. Once you get the VIN, if it starts with the correct numbers/letter, you can get in touch with Kevin Marti for a fast/cheap authenticity verification...

68sunlitgold

Mike,
you can not go wrong no matter what shape the CS is in, I would get it. As for the condition, also look for the rust in the floors, you can take a ice pick or screwdriver and poke through the carpet. Even if there is rust it can be fixed. My convertible was out side for 20 years and it only had surface rust on the underside (I still need to replace some of the floorboards). As for a CS, as long as the "special" parts are there, ie the fiberglass parts, I would take any CS everything else can be replaced. Keep us informed on the progress.
Doug