• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GTO Judge (Verification report?)

DSO51

I have the opportunity to possibly buy a 1969 GTO Judge this weekend. Seller is claiming it is original. The VIN plays out to be correct, all the parts are there but to the best of my knowledge the VIN would also be correct for the same year standard GTO and the parts could be purchased aftermarket.

So, my question is.... does anyone know if pontiac produced the equivalent of a Marti report that could be generated quickly (24 hrs.)?

No, I am not becoming a traitor to my HCS background. The price I think I can pick it up for vs. the price I think I could sell if for (if authentic) would probably cover the cost of my next HCS restoration.

Thanks in advance,

Craig (DSO51)

OP
OP
D

DSO51

Looks like I found the place.
http://www.phs-online.com/
Pontiac Historic Services. The gentleman that runs the service, Jim Mattison, a former Pontiac employee, was able to get all the factory build sheets for every Pontiac dating back to 1961.

He does not provide immediate feedback. You have to mail in the information and wait. His package is comprehensive for the money but is going to be too late for me.

As always - thanks for reading my rant.

Craig

hookedtrout

I have always loved the GTO Judge, not really all that familiar with the verification reports but I've seen several PHS (Pontiac Historical Society) documented cars on ebay. It seems to up the value of the car so I'm guessing it's an authenticity report that carries some weight of some kind. If you go to ebay motors and look up collector cars and go to GTO scroll down and look for some of the titles with PHS in it and you will see a copy of the PHS document in the pictures and in the document it lists Judge as an option to the car as well and the vin number etc. There are a couple on ebay right now with this report.

This link will take you to a GTO with a PHS report pictured.

http://tinyurl.com/9d559

Cory

OP
OP
D

DSO51

Thanks Hook,

I've been scouring eBay and Hemmings and so on trying to find a baseline for the pricing of this car. I saw the PHS mentioned a couple of times but it took a while for it to click (brain gets a little foggy working just 1/2 days - you know either the first 12 hours or the the second).
I was never a fan of the 1968 and on GTO. Loved the 67 and earlier. Actually, I've owned a pontiac or two. Never fell in love with a car til my 68 HCS. Although, i've respected quite a few.

I think i can purchase this Judge for 8-10K in daily driver condition. I've been told it has the RA IV package still runs and drives well. It needs a restoration but I think from what I've been told it is under the money.

If I was into GOATs I probably would have found a big block HCS. Well, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping.

I'm going to see it tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how full of $h*% the guy that told me about it is.

Craig

OP
OP
D

DSO51

Its a Judge. It has the RA III not RA IV package. Not the original engine but it is a 400 ci period correct. Body is a little above fair and does not have any major rust.

If is was a Mustang I'd have some idea of what it was worth. Now, after seeing it, I have no idea. I'm thinking it might be best for me to stay away.

We'll see.

Craig

hookedtrout

You have to hate those boarderline decisions. About the time you pass it up you'll see one sell for some astro price and if you buy it who knows it may go the other way.

Cory