• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

They're Still Out There

Russ

While looking through a Flagstaff wrecking yard, I came across another GT/CS, hit a pole in the front, and all the CS fiberglass removed. VIN: 8R01J156378, blue paint and interior. I goes to show that these cars are still out there!

68sunlitgold

Russ,
I agree with you, I am still working on my second CS (or possible HCS) from a person who came up to my brother who was transporting my CS to my parents. He came up to him and told him he had one of "those cars" at his parents home, they had bought it new for his sister back in '68. Since my brother lives in North Dakota and the guy said they lived in Colorado before moving there, I am hoping it may be a HCS. Still working on photos and VIN info from him. It goes to show that they are out there if you keep your eyes and ears open, just make sure what you get is authentic!!
Doug

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

I couldn't let a GT/CS sit in the salvage yard so I brought it home last night. It appears to be a GT/CS with a GT option package (but no fiberglass) and a four speed trans. I'm getting the Marti report to verify. These cars are just great! Russ

rjw

What a trooper! Another one saved from the crusher!

68sunlitgold

In my talks with Paul it seems the registry is well over 800 and growing. If more people knew what they are potentially getting ride of, I mean wrecking yard, I think more would be saved. Russ, good on you for saving another. I found one that "Mustang Parts of Oklahoma" has in their salvage car lot, put they will not sell whole cars from there inventory, so I guess it will just sit there and rust. I asked if I could have the VIN info for the registry and they also said "No". Put I will keep trying!!
Doug

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

[quote author=Russ link=board=1;threadid=274;start=0#msg1351 date=1048447993]
While looking through a Flagstaff wrecking yard, I came across another GT/CS, hit a pole in the front, and all the CS fiberglass removed. VIN: 8R01J156978, blue paint and interior. I goes to show that these cars are still out there!
[/quote]
I'll get it in the registry when I get the Marti Report. Thanks for the encouragement. Russ

speedy02

how much do they want for the car. also how much is there. does the car have rust.

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

I think I got a good deal on the car the car. I paid $200 for it. It is missing all the fiberglass GT/CS items, but it has the front fenders, the doors, all the date code correct glass, wiring and much of the interior. It also has all the front suspension, rear springs, gas tank and the taillamp "dimples" that allow the GT/CS taillamps to be mounted in the fiberglass panel. It even has the taillamp wiring! Suprisingly, it has very little rust at all, but the previous owner had chains on the car during a snow storm and it beat up the rear fender wells :(. I'm not sure what I'll do with another GT/CS, but I could not let it get crushed. Russ

rjw

For $200, it sounds like you got a very good deal!

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

UPDATE:

Well, I got the Marti Report on 8R01J156978, and it is an Acapulco blue GT/CS that came with a four speed, adjustable mirror, front seat headrests, PS, AM Radio, F70X14 wide-oval WSW tires and deluxe wheel covers. It was ordered by the Seattle district.

Interestingly enough, the car has the larger front sway bar, the heavy duty rear springs and the dual exhaust lower rear valance panel, but is NOT identified with the GT option!! I compared all of these items with my 1968 GT and these items on the GT/CS match the GT perfectly. Interesting!!!

Also the car had leather covered front and rear seats that appear to be original, but I have never seen this in any other 1968 Mustang, so I'm guessing it was insalled later, but it is quite a nicely done, professional job.

The car sat on the lot for over 5 months after its production date, in fact it did not sell until 9-13-68, just about the time the 1989's were coming out!

Russ