View Full Version : Funny street Names

marie68csmustangs
04/01/2006, 08:37 PM
Hello everyone,

Just wonderning if there are any funny/ unusual strre names in your area. In Mine, We have a few Manlove, Butterfield, Power Inn, are a few in Sacramento.

In Midnight's Special's territory it's You Bet, Red Dog, Gold Flat, Dog Bar, and Banner Lava Cap Rd.. to name just a few....

Marie

Mustanglvr
04/01/2006, 11:54 PM
No funny street names here but I used to live in Yellow Medicine county, Minnesota and Minnehaha county in South Dakota. I guess they are American Indian names, but they are funny sounding. Thats probably one reason why alot of tourists think the midwest is still wild like the old wild west.

marie68csmustangs
04/07/2006, 12:58 PM
Well, I guess that no one has very funny or interesting street names in your towns..

CALIF GIRL
04/07/2006, 01:14 PM
Well this is not in my town, but I did find it amusing...

CALIF GIRL
04/07/2006, 01:17 PM
I kinda liked this one too.

hookedtrout
04/11/2006, 12:26 PM
Well this is not in my town, but I did find it amusing...

That is pretty funny!

Cory

rvrtrash
04/11/2006, 02:37 PM
Well this being Idaho and having a reputation to maintain, we have names like Gun Club Rd., Ohio Match Rd., Powderhorn, Musket, Winchester, Remington, etc. :scared:
Steve

BroadwayBlue
04/11/2006, 03:57 PM
Here is a contest CarConnection.com was running a few months ago.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Extras/Contests/TCCs_Wild_Weird_and_Wacky_Street_Names_Contest.S20 7.A9766.html

I was looking for an article in our local newspaper a few years ago but couldn't find it.

We have some doozies around here such as:

Joe's Hill Rd
Aunt Hack Rd
Bullet Hole Rd
Gallows Hill Rd (where they really used to hang people)
Sodom Rd (I'll let you guess what kind of houses used to be on this street)
Hooker Rd (I think it's the name of a person)

There are a lot more but they aren't coming to me right now

luisa2552
04/11/2006, 05:52 PM
I lived on a street called Wissahicken. I like the way it rolls off the tounge....

Diesel Donna
04/15/2006, 09:08 AM
Lake Havasu City, Az. has a street named 'Broomrape' !!! :rollout:

On Interstate 5 in Oregon, there is a creek named JumpOff Joe Creek.

AZ68
04/16/2006, 03:36 PM
In AZ our house in the middle of the solar system... mixed with other names that make no sense... Not really weird, but there is no reasoning.

Mercury Dr.
Milky Way
Saturn
Saragosa St.
Morelos
Criss St.
Chicago
Country Club Way (And there isn't a Country Club anywhere near the area).

Mustanglvr
04/16/2006, 09:22 PM
We have a small town here in Minnesota called Hanley Falls. But there are no falls and no river.

Diesel Donna
04/16/2006, 10:23 PM
We have a small town here in Minnesota called Hanley Falls. But there are no falls and no river.

Maybe this guy Hanley fell down a lot.

marie68csmustangs
04/16/2006, 10:58 PM
Several streets in my area are called Dry Creek Rd, and several creeks are also called dry creek.. Not too dry right now, it's been raining a lot here.. The streets in my neighborhood are named after golfers like Hogan Dr. Some towns here have interesting names like Fiddletown and Cool.. The town of Lodi, CA has a street called Ham Ln, - I think that it would be funny if they had a street intersecting it called Pepperoni Dr... :-))

Mustanglvr
04/17/2006, 05:55 AM
Maybe this guy Hanley fell down a lot.

Thats what I was thinking too.:rofl:

hcsstang
04/17/2006, 06:37 PM
I'm not going to tell you the names of a couple towns in Lancaster, Pa. I don't know what possed why somebody would name towns like that. Email me and I'll tell you.

BroadwayBlue
04/17/2006, 07:36 PM
I know the names you mean! :grin:

Mosesatm
04/19/2006, 12:35 PM
No street names but there is a bar in Sabin, MN called "The Crow Bar" (I have an official Crow Bar clock and a sweat shirt) and a beauty salon in Okanogan, WA called the "Wak-N-Yak".

Mustanglvr
04/19/2006, 10:00 PM
No street names but there is a bar in Sabin, MN called "The Crow Bar" (I have an official Crow Bar clock and a sweat shirt) and a beauty salon in Okanogan, WA called the "Wak-N-Yak".

There`s a Crow Bar in Sioux Falls, South Dakota where I`m from. Been there many times. There was a bar called The Green Door that my parents hung out at back in the 1940`s by Madison, S.D. It was quite the place in its time. It was pretty risque.

marie68csmustangs
04/19/2006, 10:24 PM
Speaking of place names with crow, We have a place in CA Called
Crows Landing.

di81977
04/20/2006, 11:17 AM
Not street names, but in Colorado there are towns named:

Erie
Hygiene

p51
04/21/2006, 05:30 PM
Once heard of an establishment called the "Fubar and Grill"
(For those who dont know, Fubar is a military term similar to Snafu, both
of which have a precise meaning)

Also, there is (was?) a bar in Tempe, AZ call Bushwackers. The two
bathrooms were marked "Bush" and "Wackers"

Diesel Donna
05/25/2006, 08:06 PM
On I-40 outside of Kingman, AZ. is a road called SHINARUMP RD.

Mustanglvr
05/26/2006, 05:40 AM
I used to live in Hoquiam, Washington. There is a town nearby called Humptulips. Washington has alot of funny Indian names. I used to live by the Quinault Indian Reservation by a town called Moclips. Ah, the memories of living a block from the Pacific ocean and going clam digging every day. I know I tend to ramble, lol.

Mosesatm
05/26/2006, 06:19 AM
Pronouncing "Puyallup" is still the best way to separate the locals from the visitors in Western Washington.

And so our east coast friends don't stand out like sore thumbs when they visit the west; please remember that Oregon is pronounced "Oreegun". Just remember that they carry guns there, they are not gone.

Mustanglvr
05/26/2006, 06:28 AM
I was wondering how that was pronounced. I`ve been warning my kids about trying to cover their Minnesota accents for when we move there. I worry that they might not fit in right away.

Mosesatm
05/26/2006, 06:35 AM
Long-time locals may also pronounce it "Orugun" but that takes years of practice and shouldn't be attempted by a newbie.

Mustanglvr
05/26/2006, 06:38 AM
I pronounce it Oar-ee-gone.

Perkchiro
05/26/2006, 08:02 AM
And if you native born, you are an Oregonian. I took my schooling in Portland and my daughter was born there. There's a joke about Oregonians having webbed feet because there's so much rain. Go Oregon Ducks!

Mustanglvr
05/26/2006, 08:38 AM
Oh Gee, I guess I`ll fit right in. I have webbed toes on both feet. I know, I`m a freak.

marie68csmustangs
05/26/2006, 09:33 AM
Pronouncing "Puyallup" is still the best way to separate the locals from the visitors in Western Washington.

And so our east coast friends don't stand out like sore thumbs when they visit the west; please remember that Oregon is pronounced "Oreegun". Just remember that they carry guns there, they are not gone.

And the west coast people we stick out when we go to the south.. I remember when I went to North Carolina - the accent there was so thick.

Marie

Diesel Donna
06/15/2006, 03:30 AM
I always crack up when I see the highway exit sign for Bucksnort,Tennessee.

still looking for one
06/15/2006, 05:11 PM
I always crack up when I see the highway exit sign for Bucksnort,Tennessee.

That's not true, you made that up!!:rofl:

marie68csmustangs
06/15/2006, 11:18 PM
I once found a book that had funny named towns - I espically like the one called Bummerville.. and Joe, Montana..

Marie

Mustanglvr
06/19/2006, 07:13 PM
I used to live by a town called Tea, South Dakota

Diesel Donna
06/20/2006, 10:04 AM
That's not true, you made that up!!:rofl:

Nope, Get out your Rand McNally.. it's right off the interstate.

Mosesatm
06/20/2006, 11:22 AM
Some rural Minnesotans like to quote an old newspaper headline that they swear is true, "Fertile woman dies in Climax".

I do not know if the headline is true.

Diesel Donna
06/20/2006, 11:32 AM
Some rural Minnesotans like to quote an old newspaper headline that they swear is true, "Fertile woman dies in Climax".

I do not know if the headline is true.

What a way to go! LOL!!!

marie68csmustangs
06/20/2006, 02:38 PM
It could sound like it is LOL!! I think that there is a town called Climax somewhere..

Marie

Mosesatm
06/21/2006, 11:15 AM
According to the web there is a Climax, MN and there is a Fertile, MN, and Googling, "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax" returns a bunch of references to the infamous headline but no actual scan of the headline or even what paper it was in. I think it's an urban myth.

http://fertilebeltrami.k12.mn.us/

http://www.climax.k12.mn.us/Communities/climax.html

The following is from A Prairie Home Companion

"It wouldn't surprise me, though, if now that I've stirred this pot someone did write and say they had gotten into huge trouble for some careless but innocent act of writing. And a famous example from Minnesota comes immediately to mind. It was published in a weekly paper in the northwest quadrant of the state, and I can't say what kind of repercussions it may have brought to the author but there must have been some. The town of Fertile, population 853, sits about 19 miles southeast of Crookston on state highway 32; Climax, with 273 listed residents, sits to the west of there on US 75, some thirty miles away. An elderly lady from the former small town expired in the latter, leading to an obituary caption in the paper that read, in bold letters: "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax." Probably the longest-lived journalistic gaffe in the entire state, and one that must have brought at least mortification to its author. You'd hope so anyway."

This is from some web-site I found

Subject: Headlines
The message about the headline in an East Anglia newspaper that read: "Little Snoring Man Marries Seething Woman" reminded me of one from a small town newspaper in northern Minnesota. It read "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax" referring of course to two nearby towns with those names. I can't help but think how her neighbors in Embarrass must have felt though.

And finally a web-site that talks about a number of towns with funny names
http://www.poynter.org/forum/default.asp?id=18085

Diesel Donna
06/21/2006, 04:09 PM
And don't forget Intercourse, Pennsylvania.

Diesel Donna
06/21/2006, 11:15 PM
This isn't a funny street or town name but I was at a local cruise tonight and there was a 72 Mustang there and it had a custom made windshield shade on it that said FORGOTTEN 71-73 CLYDESDALES. Maybe it is some sort of club? Poor guy.

marie68csmustangs
06/22/2006, 01:04 AM
Or Maybe its the Mascot of the local High school in town? I can just see it now, Home of the Fighting Clydesdales!! Well, Mine was known as the Miners.. (for all of the Gold Mines around Grass Valley).

Marie

Diesel Donna
06/22/2006, 05:56 AM
Or Maybe its the Mascot of the local High school in town? I can just see it now, Home of the Fighting Clydesdales!! Well, Mine was known as the Miners.. (for all of the Gold Mines around Grass Valley).

Marie

No, it's in reference to the car years of the big Mustangs and Clydesdales being big horses.

marie68csmustangs
06/22/2006, 08:57 AM
Oh, I get it now..

Marie