• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Value of 69 Mach 1 R Code 428??

ahainline

I have a line on a few cars, one being a 69 Mach 1 R Code 428 with 1,755 original miles... and no this isnt a typo.. 1 7 5 5 miles :eek: . Also has power brakes and a automatic tranny. Its a California car (rust free) that was drag raced by one owner for 32 years. Havent seen the car yet in person but it has to be in good shape with that low of mileage..I would assume at least. Of course I would get a Marti Report for it before I purchase anything.

NADA price guide
My question is this.. how much would you expect to pay for a car like this?

NEWS FLASH: Car doesnt have original motor in it.. has a blown 460 with nitrous lol. WTF.. I finally got the guy on the phone and I get the full story. I guess the upside is that it is all original besides that..no body modifications (tubbed etc) and stillhas all original body panels on the car. Mileage is documented as well. Just have to find a 428 to put back in it. Asking price is $37,500...dont think it is worth it not being original but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...I think we're back to "square one" again Tony. That's a tough one to answer w/o so many details.

1,755 original miles - cool, but drag raced at what level? 'Roll bar welded in? Interior gutted & accessories removed? Does it still have original motor & trans? So many other possible mods...

A rust free R-code even in need of total restoration has great value, but the 32 yr drag racing begs for photos & total inspection IMO...

joedls

...I think we're back to "square one" again Tony. That's a tough one to answer w/o so many details.

1,755 original miles - cool, but drag raced at what level? 'Roll bar welded in? Interior gutted & accessories removed? Does it still have original motor & trans? So many other possible mods...

A rust free R-code even in need of total restoration has great value, but the 32 yr drag racing begs for photos & total inspection IMO...

...and some very good documentation that it only has 1755 original miles if you are going to pay a premium for that.

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

lol sorry I keep dragging you guys into this. but your responses really do help. I dont have anyone else to bounce these questions off of.. for some reason my g/f doesnt know much about classic muscle cars lol.

I think the interior is intact as far as I know.. no roll bar either I think. what things should I be looking for concerning the condition of a "drag" car?

or the value even if it was a rust free, race prepped, drag car without interior? how much then?

...and some very good documentation that it only has 1755 original miles if you are going to pay a premium for that.

I agree with you Joe, I am definitely going to request some documentation. Seeing is believing!

thanks again for helping me guys

BroadwayBlue

Here are some ads in Hemmings for 69 Mach I R-codes if that's helpful.

There are a few in the current paper edition too that are $80,000-100,000 a few in the 30,000-40,000 range

Attachments

• 69_mach1_rcode.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 27

Midnight Special

lol sorry I keep dragging you guys into this. but your responses really do help. I dont have anyone else to bounce these questions off of.. for some reason my g/f doesnt know much about classic muscle cars lol.

... what things should I be looking for concerning the condition of a "drag" car?

or the value even if it was a rust free, race prepped, drag car without interior? how much then?

thanks again for helping me guys

...This could be a good "Joe, David & Robb Campbell et-al " thread from now. I would like to know more too ;-)

RedGTvert

Forget about the fact that it has 1775 miles, because they were done 1/4 mile at a time, so they are likely to be hard miles.

How the heck did they keep the body from flexing? That would be the first question I would ask.

Unless the car has some outstanding and notable racing history, I don't see anywhere near $37.5K for the car. I would keep looking. You would be better off spending $40-45K for a car that may need $10K worth of work to make it real nice.

rvrtrash

I would have to agree with the body flex problem. If you're hammering a car hard, enventually the spot welds are going to start coming apart (Go ahead-ask me how I know). Check where the roof is welded to the quarter panel, between the top of the rear window and top of the quarter window, for cracking. Even though it's a 428 car, I'd think that's a little high, considering it's history and the lack of the original motor. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. :wink:

Steve

spoiler

Forget about the fact that it has 1775 miles, because they were done 1/4 mile at a time, so they are likely to be hard miles.

How the heck did they keep the body from flexing? That would be the first question I would ask.

Unless the car has some outstanding and notable racing history, I don't see anywhere near $37.5K for the car. I would keep looking. You would be better off spending $40-45K for a car that may need $10K worth of work to make it real nice.

I would think you might be looking a while to find a 69 R - code for $40 to$45 that only needs $10K worth of work. Unless the market has dropped and I missed it.

RedGTvert

I would think you might be looking a while to find a 69 R - code for $40 to$45 that only needs $10K worth of work. Unless the market has dropped and I missed it.

You won't be looking as hard as you think. They are out there. Not every 428CJ car is $80K. If you look around, there are plenty of those sitting on the dealers lots. Two years ago, they would be published and be gone in 2-3 weeks. Now they are being advertised all over the place because the inventory is sitting.

Too may people are still living in the past.

John McGilvary

Tony,

I would go check it out for myself, if you are interested, get a Marti Report.
Then if you want it, its worth what you are willing to pay for it.

John

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Yea I posted when I thought it was an original 428 car with low miles.. I agree with the drag racing stuff and the problems that go along with it. Still waiting on more information about the car but I dont see myself paying that for the car I know that.