• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Another GT/CS

Sherri P.

::)

Any comments on this one? It obviously has alot of rust. But can anyone who has already restored a California Special tell me if this is going to be a real chore. I don't mind replacing metal, but are parts hard to come by?

Thanks, Sherri

68gt390

[quote author=Sherri P. link=board=3;threadid=854;start=0#msg4733 date=1081092430]
::)

Any comments on this one? It obviously has alot of rust. But can anyone who has already restored a California Special tell me if this is going to be a real chore. I don't mind replacing metal, but are parts hard to come by?

Thanks, Sherri
[/quote]

Sherri;
When I redid my 68 GT 390 coupe I was fortunate to have a local Mustang Restoration Shop close by (KAR Mustang), here in Columbus Ohio. Was able to get most of what I needed locally. Almost everything on the car was replaced, entire undercarriage, steering gear box, master cylinder, power brake booster, and all interior pieces except for exterior chrome and paint. Motor was rebuilt with the help of several of my friends (that alone saved me a bundle). By the time car was done, I was $9,000 to $10,000 above what I paid for the car. The folks at KAR told me had I had to replace floor pans, frame rails and other sheet metal it would have been a lot higher. From the pictures I saw of this particular GT/CS, car looks like it's in need of some definite repair. The hardest parts for me to find were the fan clutch and the auxilliary air inlet vacume motor for the air cleaner. Since this car is a small block, you should be able to find most of the parts fairly easily. Hope this helps.

Don

68gt390

Sherri;
Forgot to mention that it looks like car has all the fiberglass pieces and fog lights for the GT/CS on it. Most anything else you would need is pretty much streight up 68 mustang parts that can be found in most restoration parts catalogues.

Don