• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ten Spoke Question

Ruppstang

I have seen a number of members have the Shelby ten spoke wheels on their Specials. With these reproductions do you need to use a spacer? Or has the back spacing been changed to eliminate the need for a spacer? I have a original Shelby set and they will rub the caliper if a spacer is not used.

Midnight Special

...My 'S' has spacers...

Attachments

• DSC_0695.jpg
    DSC_0695.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 64

dalorzo_f

"I have a original Shelby set and they will rub the caliper if a spacer is not used."

How does that work, thought the Shelby's had basically the same front suspension and brakes....??? Especially in 68, basically a stock J code for the 350 with some fiberglass... no real "performance" upgrades...??? An S/R code would be pretty much the same...??? Never heard of Shelby's using spacers from the factory?

Mosesatm

The ones I purchased for the Road Warrior did not rub. They were Vintage V50s.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

The ten spoke wheels were not used on the 68 Shelby's. In 67 Ford used a Kelsey Hays 4 puck caliper in 68 they changed to a 2 puck design that would rub on the ten spoke wheels. Most were delivered with a special cast hub cap. Many owners then and now like the look of the ten spoke wheels and changed them. I am going to restore the hub caps and mount some bias ply's for when I show but would like to drive on the ten spokes with radials. The originals are quite valuable and I am considering selling them and buying the reproductions to drive on provided I can eliminate the spacer.

Attachments

• 68 original Shelby wheel covers 003.jpg
    68 original Shelby wheel covers 003.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 37
  • 68 original Shelby wheel covers 006.jpg
    68 original Shelby wheel covers 006.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 32

dalorzo_f

Know the 10 spokes were not stock for '68, but some (very, very few) did get them from the factory. Just curious, and find it odd they would be so dimensionally different, and with all the cars that now have them (from various vendors) find it surprising there would be a fitment issue..

x-codegtcs

Marty - I am fighting another issue and once I can get my rear off the jack stands, I will put the 10 spokes I bought from Branda on the front to see if any single caliper clearance issues...I was hoping to be done by now but it's that darn "1 step forward, 2 steps back" thing...

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Marty - I am fighting another issue and once I can get my rear off the jack stands, I will put the 10 spokes I bought from Branda on the front to see if any single caliper clearance issues...I was hoping to be done by now but it's that darn "1 step forward, 2 steps back" thing...

Thanks, it is my understanding that the back set was changed on the reproductions so they do not need the spacer. I would like to know that for sure before I sell the originals.

franklinair

I installed 10 spokes on my CS- but with drum brakes. No fitment problem, no spacers.
BE SURE you tighten the tapered lugnuts properly:

Neil

Attachments

• cs before.JPG
    cs before.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 55
  • cs repair1.JPG
    cs repair1.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 51