CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/03/2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Ruppstang

My Garage
68 Comfortweave Upholstery

I special ordered red comfortweave seat covers from TMI and this is what I got. Nothing like the parchment orginal in photo. And the new is not even vented. I told them I may as well have red cloth and just forgot about orginality. I can't even return them. Does anyone know where you can find better? Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 comfortweave upolstery 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	10457   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 comfortweave upolstery 002.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	10458  
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2009, 07:52 AM   #2
somethingspecial

My Garage
Marty, Why can't you return the covers? If it is wrong and they can't supply you with the correct pattern, they should take them back. If not, that doesn't say much for TMI customer service. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
I special ordered red comfortweave seat covers from TMI and this is what I got. Nothing like the parchment orginal in photo. And the new is not even vented. I told them I may as well have red cloth and just forgot about orginality. I can't even return them. Does anyone know where you can find better? Marty
From what I've been told and have researched no-one make even a half-way decent reproduction comfortweave, but it was used by many car makers back in the 60s and 70s so there is some NOS stuff still out there.

Here is a similar thread in VMF

Here is the SMS site

Last edited by Mosesatm; 12/04/2009 at 08:21 AM..
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2009, 09:02 AM   #4
teamlo
My Car Details

I'm not overly fond of TMI's customer service. I contacted them about purchasing a single front seat cover (standard) for my '68 GT and they told me that single covers aren't available, I'd have to buy a pair.

Umm............HELLO?!? You're the manufacturer. I should be able to buy whatever quantity I want from you!!

Terry
teamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Ruppstang

My Garage
Mike when I ordered it I knew that it was not returnable, but I feel very misled by TMI calling this poor imitation comfortweave. I talked to them yesterday and they said if I can find some NOS material they would redo them for another 140.00.
Thanks to Arlie and his post above I found the NOS materal. It is 95.00 per yard and TMI said I need 5 yards. Looks like if I go forward with this I am going to have 1000.00seat covers. The one question I still have is what was the correct comfortweave pattern for 68? I have had two orignal cars with the parchment pattern that I posted above. I have not see it in red and the NOS red pattern in Arlie's post is differnt. Help if anyone has a confortweave of any color please post a picture or identify it by the samples on this thread. Marty
Old 12/05/2009, 01:23 PM   #6
mnut

Smile will this help?

Don't know if this is any help here. Here's a pic of my CS seats covered in "comfortweave" from 2 years ago. I bought the skins from Kentucky Mustang. I can't remember if they were TMI. But if you like what you see,you can contact them. The set was $300.00.
Please keep in mind a good point that John said who bought my car last year...the aftermarket "comfortweave" material is a solid weave unlike the OEM material that has breathable,minute gaps between the weaves. You really can see and feel the difference!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0946.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	10459  
mnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Ruppstang

My Garage
Thanks Bob,
That is exactly what I just got from TMI and is not vented or correct. Marty
Old 12/29/2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Ruppstang

My Garage
Update I found the correct NOS fabric at SNS Auto Fabrics for $95 per yard. TMI has agreed to replace the panels for free. Still some expensive seat covers but at least they will be correct. Marty
Old 01/02/2010, 07:43 PM   #9
RedGTvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
Update I found the correct NOS fabric at SNS Auto Fabrics for $95 per yard. TMI has agreed to replace the panels for free. Still some expensive seat covers but at least they will be correct. Marty
Glad to hear, and I guess TMI should be commended for doing the work at no charge.
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2010, 07:45 PM   #10
RedGTvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlo View Post
I'm not overly fond of TMI's customer service. I contacted them about purchasing a single front seat cover (standard) for my '68 GT and they told me that single covers aren't available, I'd have to buy a pair.

Umm............HELLO?!? You're the manufacturer. I should be able to buy whatever quantity I want from you!!

Terry
They most likely manufacture as a set, so if they break up a set, what are they to do with the odd cover. Sorry to say, you are wrong with the negative comment.
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2010, 08:21 PM   #11
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTvert View Post
They most likely manufacture as a set, so if they break up a set, what are they to do with the odd cover. Sorry to say, you are wrong with the negative comment.
I don't know if I would agree. It would seem a manufacturer would realize most driver seats are going to wear out first, so why not make up covers for just that seat, for those that aren't doing full restorations. It's probably only because of warehousing inventory and making more profit, which is fine, but Terry also has the right to feel negatively about the policy. If people didn't speak up and ask why, there would be no way companies could anticipate what the buying public wants or needs. They may ignore him, but that doesn't make him wrong. Just my way of looking at it.

Steve

More than a hobby-it's an obsession.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Ruppstang

My Garage
What I found was the frist time I called I talked to a telaphone answerer who could only tell me company policy. On the second call I talked to a manager/owner Dean who was most helpful. I think it is very important to let a company know when you are not happy or nothing will change. Marty

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions