• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear Drum Brakes

AADaddy

OK, this will probalby make the pro's on the site roll their eyes! Ha! So I rebuilt the rear drums on my car. I put on 2" Drums which I think are the same size as what I took off. I measured the old ones at 2". When I put the rear wheels on I can't turn the wheels anymore. Did I put on a pad that was too wide perhaps? I used a 2" wide pad as that is what my local NAPA guys said I needed. But, I read somewhere I should have used a narrower pad. It's been a REALLY long time since I did drum brakes so I was flying a little blind on this one! :frust:

CougarCJ

I believe that they are 1-3/4 inches wide.
In order to increase the width to 2 inch, you would need the correct backing plates and drums.

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

OK. Maybe I'll start with getting narrower pads. The drums that were on the car were definitely 2" drums. I'm guessing someone put the wrong size on at one point.

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

I don't know what it is about this car. Everything hard is easy and everything easy is hard. She's fighting me to come back to life! It may drain my bank account but darn it I'm going to win! Ha!

franklinair

AADaddy; Been there. I once did a '68 convertible that fought me every inch of the way. I named her Christine, after the movie!! (She now lives in Switzerland)

Neil

DeadStang

I don't know what it is about this car. Everything hard is easy and everything easy is hard. She's fighting me to come back to life! It may drain my bank account but darn it I'm going to win! Ha!

Yep...join the club! My CS/GT fought me tooth and nail to get back on the road.