• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Low oil pressure

mbsf1970

what are ramifications of low oil pressure? on the way back from mountains today -- 120 mile round trip, the oil pressure gauge showed low-- the needle was just above the low line on gauge (just inside acceptable range)

also, second question, before leaving, I checked oil levels and they were good with oil being honey coloured, but also on dipstick was a good amount of jet black fluid....it wasn't mixed with oil, it was just there. I rechecked oil three times and each time the Black seemed to lessen.....is it a dirty dipstick tube??

stephen
p.s. Newly working clock is dead once more....:sad:

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

10/30,

it's all good I spoke with my mechanic. thanks! we'll be looking at black residue next week...
Stephen

franklinair

What's the verdict "it's all good" mean? I'd be a little nervous about oil pressure reading so low.:icon_pani

Neil

robert campbell

I would be running 20/50 Castrol GTX in any older motor that is run basically in the Summer months. It will raise your oil pressure a bit over where you are now.

I would have a high quality pressure gauge attached to the engine at the port the sender unit uses. To truly see what the pressure is.

The end of many a small block Ford is spitting out a cam bearing. This brings the oil pressure down below 10 pounds....

Rob

C160223

Do not rely on the oil gauge, sender could possibly be no good. Hook up a good known working mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what pressures you are actually getting. Low limits of 10 PSi per 1000 rpm's is ok. More is better. When you rev the engine, does the needle move up?