• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Foam strips on trunk lid?

murf104

As noted in the newest California Special recognition Guide by Paul Newitt the foam strips on the underedge of the trunk spoiler measure 7/8 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick and 4 1/2 inches long. My originals were long gone so I will have to take his word for the measurements. My question is where in the world do you find 7/8 inch wide foam strips. I have searched everywhere - well, everywhere I can think of - and came up empty handed. So, anyone have any advice to share on locating this product? Secondly, for those of you who still have the original foam, are the measurements given in this latest book correct? I keep looking in the hardware listings for insulative weatherstrip type closed cell foam - maybe another product was used and you know what it was? Thanks for any help or advice!

CougarCJ

Donna still has one or both on her GT/CS.

Murf, can you find 1 inch wide and cut down?

hicountrybob

As noted in the newest California Special recognition Guide by Paul Newitt the foam strips on the underedge of the trunk spoiler measure 7/8 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick and 4 1/2 inches long. My originals were long gone so I will have to take his word for the measurements. My question is where in the world do you find 7/8 inch wide foam strips. I have searched everywhere - well, everywhere I can think of - and came up empty handed. So, anyone have any advice to share on locating this product? Secondly, for those of you who still have the original foam, are the measurements given in this latest book correct? I keep looking in the hardware listings for insulative weatherstrip type closed cell foam - maybe another product was used and you know what it was? Thanks for any help or advice!

I've bought this rubber by the roll at a RV parts counter. It is wider but that is an easy fix w/ some cutting it to our size. Try it and you will like it and you'll have enough left over to fix up everyone on our site. Hicountry Bob here.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Will try the RV store! hadn't considered that source. I had considered cutting down a one inch strip but after exhausting every hardware store in this area it became obvious that all of the one inch wide stuff was also a minimum of 5/16 inch thick. Never did locate anything wider than 3/4 in the 1/4 inch thick variety. Funny how the smallest things can stop progress. Thanks for the suggestions and will pursue the RV suppliers. do you guys agree with the dimensions listed in Pauls book?

GTCSMustang

Mine are a hair over 3/4-wide, 1/8-inch thick, and 4-3/4 long. Gray material.

If the foam were 1/4-inch thick I don't think you could close the deck lid.

McMaster-Carr sells dozens of different widths and thinkness foam/self-adhesive materials that are gray. Check their website.

Scott

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Figured I would post photos of said foam strips for those who don't know what the topic is on. These are original strips.

Attachments

• 101_2877.jpg
    101_2877.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 59
  • 101_2878.jpg
    101_2878.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks everyone, and thank you Scott for measuring your originals. Any more images to post? I am not sure as to the function of the these, I guess to keep the inner edge of the deck lid from contacting ? ? (something). And then the question comes to mind - why were they not used on the Shelbys? Is there a difference somewhere between the Shelby ragtop and the Mustang coupe in that area? Just curious.

Mosesatm

Here are a few more photos

Attachments

• Foam Tape.jpg
    Foam Tape.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Foam Tape 2.jpg
    Foam Tape 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Foam Tape 3.jpg
    Foam Tape 3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 59

somethingspecial

Mike you should clean your car a bit more often. LOL Marty

Marty, I should have figured YOU would be looking for SOMETHING wrong with my car!?!?!?! LOL, Sorry Marty, Not my car. That one actually belongs to 747driver here on the site.

dalorzo_f

Maybe as a Ford line item the GTCS had more thought put into "comfort" and the strips added to lower the potential for dings or rattles between lid and end caps. And Shelby was more "performance" oriented and did not worry about such things....

???

Ruppstang

Maybe as a Ford line item the GTCS had more thought put into "comfort" and the strips added to lower the potential for dings or rattles between lid and end caps. And Shelby was more "performance" oriented and did not worry about such things....

???

Actually Ford went cheep on the GTCS with the tape as the bumper. The Shelby uses a hood type adjustable bumper mounted on a pad at the top of the tail light panel. I will try to get a picture later.

dalorzo_f

Interesting, assumed none was there as there is no mention of it in the pictures or parts list in the '68 Unique Shelby Parts booklet...

GTCSMustang

Both Shelby convertible and fastback got them.

Scott

Attachments

• Bumper.jpg
    Bumper.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
M

murf104

Scott, is the foam closed cell, open cell or what. Looking around for this stuff is crazy. Checked Macmaster Carr and wasn't smart enough to choose the correct type. What do you think the density would be termed. Also, when you say grey, do you mean "circus elephant grey", or "charcoal grey" Thanks.

GTCSMustang

John,

It's a closed cell material. Elephant gray. The material is very close to the 1968 Shelby console weather stripping I had made. The console weather stripping is extruded, but the finished product is very close in terms of the density and cell size. Want me to send you a piece?

Scott