• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 390 Big Block Holley Carbs

robert campbell

Big Block Boy's & Girl's!!!~
I stumbled across a hidden piece of information concerning the Holley Carbs that came on 1968 390 engines in Mustangs and GT/CS or HCS carbs. This concerns the two following carbs that were built prior to December 15, 1967. Keep in mind this date is "approximate", and these carbs could have found their way onto early 1968 GT/CS or HCS cars with 390 engines. Also many of the original carbs were removed over the years and from time to time these correct carbs pop up on flea bay and are reinstalled by owners.

C8OF-C
C8OF-9510-C Holley list 3795-1 Manual Transmission

C8OF-D C8OF-9510-D Holley list 3796-1 Automatic Transmission

I found a Ford technical service bulletin (TSB’s) titled Article 1283 Momentary Engine Hesitation on Acceleration and/or Rough Engine Idle. These bulletins were sent to the various dealers when problems with cars came to light and provide detailed instructions to correct them. Below is a link to the TSB.

http://fordification.com/tsb/viewto...283&sid=98ae91fda2b4934214e68a1c38c2b3f4#p530

This TSB shows how to correct the issue on the December and earlier carbs. Of note in the second paragraph it nots that the later carbs that were corrected receive a daub of white paint on their carb tag. I have the carb for Eric’s new GT/CS to rebuild and guess what. Yup, a daub of white paint is on its tag. I will confirm that the fix was performed, but other carbs I have worked on may have not. Of note I worked on a 3795 for Batgirl and had a bunch of problems with the idle during my wet test of it. I got it close, but never got it right. I hope she can send it back to me for a free rebuild and wet test.
Rob.

Last edited:

calspcl

Hi Rob, I just checked the Carb I bought a few years back that needs your expertise. The date code on the tag is 8AE, no white daub...BTW, let me know when you have a stall open and I will bring the whole car with the bent push rod. :)

Dan

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I have a 68 Coupe total redo in between the paint shop and the engine shop, so I have a stall currently. I will have a 67 Fairlane next week, but after that, give me a call. (360) 377-5164.

Carb anytime you can get it here. Your car would be a great wet test platform for both carbs!!

Rob

Batgirl89

Big Block Boy's & Girl's!!!~
I stumbled across a hidden piece of information concerning the Holley Carbs that came on 1968 390 engines in Mustangs and GT/CS or HCS carbs. This concerns the two following carbs that were built prior to December 15, 1967. Keep in mind this date is "approximate", and these carbs could have found their way onto early 1968 GT/CS or HCS cars with 390 engines. Also many of the original carbs were removed over the years and from time to time these correct carbs pop up on flea bay and are reinstalled by owners.

C8OF-C
C8OF-9510-C Holley list 3795-1 Manual Transmission

C8OF-D C8OF-9510-D Holley list 3796-1 Automatic Transmission

I found a Ford technical service bulletin (TSB’s) titled Article 1283 Momentary Engine Hesitation on Acceleration and/or Rough Engine Idle. These bulletins were sent to the various dealers when problems with cars came to light and provide detailed instructions to correct them. Below is a link to the TSB.

http://fordification.com/tsb/viewto...283&sid=98ae91fda2b4934214e68a1c38c2b3f4#p530

This TSB shows how to correct the issue on the December and earlier carbs. Of note in the second paragraph it nots that the later carbs that were corrected receive a daub of white paint on their carb tag. I have the carb for Eric’s new GT/CS to rebuild and guess what. Yup, a daub of white paint is on its tag. I will confirm that the fix was performed, but other carbs I have worked on may have not. Of note I worked on a 3795 for Batgirl and had a bunch of problems with the idle during my wet test of it. I got it close, but never got it right. I hope she can send it back to me for a free rebuild and wet test.
Rob.

Rob, you are so awesome!!! Its funny because John and I were just talking about that damn carb! Its on the shelf, I will send it to you! Thank you so much. The other one you did is a rocket! Going great on our '68 428 convertible. Thats cool you found the white daub on Eric's carb. Ok I will seal up the box and ship it to you! :grin:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Wonder where you were in all of this! I want another crack at that carb with no cost to you other than shipping!!

Now I need to see if Dan can drop his car off as a platform again!! Your carb was a bit ragged compared to Dan's and Eric's, but it was kicking my butt and I don't like that!!

Rob

Batgirl89

Wonder where you were in all of this! I want another crack at that carb with no cost to you other than shipping!!

Now I need to see if Dan can drop his car off as a platform again!! Your carb was a bit ragged compared to Dan's and Eric's, but it was kicking my butt and I don't like that!!

Rob
Im slow to find the thread, but already got the turd carb in the mail to you!! :grin: Also in the box a prepaid USPS large flat rate box label for return shipping and a THANK YOU/Christmas gift from John's blacksmith shop for you!!:wink: Not in a hurry for the carb, pulling the motor out of Gem at end of January and hopefully back in a few weeks after that. Thank you Rob!