• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

POLL: Meeting at Carlisle to celebrate the 40th? Please be realistic in your answer.

Do you plan on attending the All-Ford Nationals at Carlisle in 2008?

• Yes I am planning on bringing my 1966/1967 HCS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't commit now but possibly will be bringing my 1968 HCS

• Can't commit now but possibly will be bringing my 1966/1967 HCS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BroadwayBlue

Hey everyone!

First let me say, this thread is by now means trying to undermine a West Coast Reunion - just an alternative for those that can't make the trip to California or an extra for those that can make both.

I've started some communication with Carlisle again to see if we can possibly get a parking area for GT/CS and HCS cars this year.

I know they are planning a Cobra Jet Reunion, possible SVT reunion and a 1958 Ford Cars Reunion.

They asked me what we had in mind. My thought was it would be nice to have a place to park together.

Even if we don't - maybe we could meet up before and drive in together. That might be tough to coordinate but willing to give it a shot.

I have never been to Carlisle so hopefully those that have can chime in on options - I'm just assuming it's pretty crazy due to the size and number of cars so anything we can coordinate we might want to keep it simple since this is our first time. It would be nice to start the tradition this year though so by the 50th who knows?

My plan is to head out Thursday night and stay for the weekend.

I'm sure hotels fill up fast so it might be good to start thinking about staying over for those that have to come a distance.

I would like to get a count of how many 68/07/08 CS and HCS cars we might expect.

I'll try to make the poll in a way that helps me get some numbers. So if they request that I'll have some idea on what to tell them.

Please be honest in your reply. I don't want to say we're expecting a certain number and then fall way short. I understand things happen but would like to be as realistic as possible.

If you can reply to the poll and give some thoughts that would be great.

I know it will be tough for some of us to head out West for the 40th especially with our cars so I thought this might be a good alternative.

So please respond appropriately. I'll add a "No" choice because I think you might need to vote to see the results. (I guess not - I see there was an option to make the results public but it was too late)

Almost forgot the info.

Carlisle All-Ford Nationals held in Carlisle, PA June 6-8, 2008

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ford/index.asp

The specific weekend schedule isn't posted yet.

There is a lot of info on the site under Visitor Info and Event Highlights
http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/index.asp

For what it's worth, I did notice registration is $40 now and increases to $50 after May 19th.

Thanks!

Rich

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

We haven't received a huge response yet but I give it some time.

I was thinking about doing the CJ Pony Parts Pony Trail drive on Friday. Last year it looks like they went to the Car Museum in Hershey, PA. CJ is about 35-40 minutes from Carlisle I think. Probably halfway between Hershey and Carlisle.

It would be a site for them to see a group of CS and HCS cars join their caravan.

Looks like the Hershey Museums feature this year will be:
FINS: The Rise and Fall of the Tail Fin in American Automotive Design

Pics from 2007 ...
http://www.cjponyparts.com/NewPonyTrails2007.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Here are links to some slideshows from the 2007 and 2006 event to give those who haven't been before (like me) an idea of the size of the show, events, etc ...

I sure hope those girls in those bikinis don't get fingerprints and suntan lotion all over my paint! :icon_pani
If they get too close to the car I better take pictures to have evidence just in case!

2007 http://tinyurl.com/2jamyt

2006 http://tinyurl.com/3xfzhu

hicountrybob

Here are links to some slideshows from the 2007 and 2006 event to give those who haven't been before (like me) an idea of the size of the show, events, etc ...

I sure hope those girls in those bikinis don't get fingerprints and suntan lotion all over my paint! :icon_pani
If they get too close to the car I better take pictures to have evidence just in case!

2007 http://tinyurl.com/2jamyt

2006 http://tinyurl.com/3xfzhu
WOW, a sight to behold, even some "Bronco Billys". Will be? or would be an experience to treasure this year, particularly for me 'cause the Cobra Jet Mustangs will be out in force there also to celebrate their anniversary, as well. Bob here.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

We have about 5 of the 68 Cars that are trying to attend with a potential for a few more. I think in the past they are about 3-6 68's at the show. So we might have an OK turnout. Hopefully those that are coming without their CS can find us and meet up as well.

Attached are pamphlets for the show. Sorry they're so small, I got these online.

For those of you interested in the Cobra Jet cars I came across this info on the Cobra Jet Reunion that's planned too. Looks like they're expecting a good turnout of Cobra Jet cars:

It’s official. The Cobra Jet Reunion is a go for the All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on June 6-8.

Organized by CJ owner Danny Truitt, the event is open to Cobra Jet-powered Ford and Mercury vehicles, including 428s, 429s, and 351s. Following the lead of successful Boss Reunion a couple of years ago, the CJ Reunion will incorporate a separate display area for Cobra Jet cars, a picnic for owners, and the availability of special shirts. A display area is also being set aside for special cars, like Jacky Jones’ ’68 Mustang fastback (the first of the 50 “135” cars built for drag racing), Hubert Platt’s ’69 drag car, and a ’68 ½ Cougar press car. Guest appearances by former CJ drag racing stars Hubert Platt and Al Joniec are also in the works, along with drag racing activities on Friday night.

Attachments

• Ford%20SEMA%20Card-Front.jpg
    Ford%20SEMA%20Card-Front.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Ford%20SEMA%20Card-Back%20%28Rev%29.jpg
    Ford%20SEMA%20Card-Back%20%28Rev%29.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

68gt390

Rich;
I'd like to attend but, our local club is hosting a National MCA show in June so I'll be pretty much tied up working plans on that show here in Columbus.

Don

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rich;
I'd like to attend but, our local club is hosting a National MCA show in June so I'll be pretty much tied up working plans on that show here in Columbus.

Don

Hi Don,
I just saw that show yesterday on the MCA site. That's the one in Dublin,OH? I was Mapquesting to see how far it was.

Sorry you can't make Carlisle but good luck with your show!

gt bandit

Okay - I may be a starter , but i reckon accommodation will be just about impossible to find and i have stayed in that dodgy holiday inn before (nasty)
what is the best town around carlisle for a couple of nights rest.
shaun

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I'm not that familiar with the area, a few others here might be able to help.

Here is a link from the Carlisle site on hotels.

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/guest/where_to_stay.asp

Hershey, PA is not that far, there is a lot of hotels in that area due to the Hershey Chocolate factory and Hersheypark (Amusement Park)

I'm sure there are plenty of other places ... how far away do you want to stay?

Hope that helps!

gt bandit

Thanks Rich

I will sort out something , don't want to stay to far away. I will coincide a business meeting with our USA transport provider "Keens transport" that way i can use it as a tax write off.

see U in June

shaun

JGFRANCK

Hey Shaun,
Try Mechnicsburg PA. it's about 4-5 miles North of Carlisle. I know they have a nice Hampton Inn there, I stayed there a few times. I am almost sure they have some other hotels there also. Joel

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I have posted info on this gathering on the Carlisle Forums

http://www.carlisleforums.com/

and invited all GT/CS and HCS owners here if they don't already belong.

I'll add it to a few other forums and Paul will include it in his flier as well.

More details on this event are supposed to be posted on the Carlisle site by this weekend. I'll update any new info as it comes across.

Thanks!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Event Details starting to come in

Some event details of what is happening at Carlisle this year have finally been posted on their site.

I included a few snippets below, the full info is on the Carlisle site at

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ford/details.asp

FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Ford and Lincoln-Mercury will be all over the place with concepts, celebrities, displays and test drives.

50TH Anniversary - ALL 1958 Ford & Lincoln-Mercury Makes & Models

COBRA JET REUNION
It is the 40TH Anniversary of the birth of Cobra Jet Powered Vehicles! You asked for it and here it is. We are hosting a reunion for every Ford and Mercury powered by a Cobra Jet engine. Cobra Jets will rule for this edition of the All-Ford Nationals! There will be a special display of vintage and historical Cobra Jet vehicles.

Meet Cobra Jet designers, engineers, writers, drag racers and others responsible for the birth and nurturing of Cobra Jet vehicles.

SVT 15th ANNIVERSARY REUNION
It has been 15 years since the Ford Special Vehicle Team entered the market, so to commemorate a great decade-and-a-half of SVT-badged high-performance Fords, the SVT Owners Association is planning an SVT 15th Anniversary Reunion at Carlisle 2008.

MUSTANG BEEHIVE
See the greatest collection of Black & Yellow Mustangs ever gathered together in one place. It will be a hive of activity with the members of the Yellow Mustang Club & the members of the Black Mustang Club parked together.

INDOOR INVITATIONAL DISPLAY
A special Invitational Display of Cobra Jet powered vehicles and other vehicles of significance.

DRAG RACE 101
We will be conducting seminars on drag racing for those interested in taking a trip down the 1320! Well actually, the newly renovated Quarter Aces Drag-O-Way (formerly South Mountain Dragway) is 660 feet, or a one-eighth mile track. This program is for first-timers as well as those who have a burning passion to acquire a greater knowledge of drag racing techniques. Conducting the seminars will be some of drag racing’s most notable stars, like Al Joniec.

DeadStang

I'm curious about this--having never been to a Carlisle event before. I see a spring and fall thing listed on their site; are these swap meets? And is the Ford event in June "just" a car show/etc, or is it a swap meet as well? I'm not that big on car shows anymore (no offense, but they get dull after awhile), but I enjoy really big swap meets and drag races.

hcsstang

The spring and fall show is just a swap meet. The Ford show is a car show plus a swap meet. They also have a Chrysler meet and Gm plus a couple of other ones. The spring and fall one takes more than a day to get through it. They just started to have car auctions. Hope that this will help you.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Due to the low response to date on this we won't be getting a "reserved area" for our cars. We just don't have the numbers to justify it.

I'm hoping we can at least park together. I don't think the early and late models can be together though. I understand the Fun Field is broken down by year.

I think we still have the potential of 10 68's showing up.
I bet that would be the biggest GT/CS and HCS gathering east of the Mississippi ever! Maybe even the Rio Grande! LOL!

HCSSTANG - you probably have the most experience going to Carlisle. (I have none)
Will we be able to pull off parking together?

Do we need to drive in together to do that?

You told me once but I forgot, what are the most GT/CS and HCS cars you've ever seen at the show? (Were they all from this site?)

I got an email from Carlisle today that there is a judged and non-judged show field. Is that new?

Judging is Pariticipant Judging too, right?

I'm planning on heading down on Thursday and staying at a campground nearby with my sister and her family in their 34' RV
I'm hoping my nephew is coming with his 07 Grabber Orange GT too.
The campsite said they're filling up already.

I understand accomodations sellout quickly so if you're planning on staying over make the calls.

Looking at the CJ Pony Parts Pony Trail Drive on Friday - they got 100 Mustangs last year. But don't want to miss all of Friday at Carlisle either. Good swap meet and vendor time I would think before Saturday crowds.

I attached the email I received since I couldn't just copy it over. It has some additional info from my previous post.

Attachments

• Carlisle email (2 pages).pdf
    165.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

2 Months to go!!

The poll at the top of this thread is probably a bit outdated. I know a few maybe and no votes are now yes votes. I didn't want to start another thread though.

Currently I have an unoffical count of 9 1968 GT/CS and HCS cars coming to Carlisle. This includes non-site members.
I think there is a strong possibility of additional non-site members attending as well. It looks like we're tracking toward a nice turnout.

I think there is supposed to be another 4-5 site members attending without their cars.

I haven't heard of any late models attending yet but I'm sure there will be a number of them.

Hopefully we can get together for a photo op on Saturday or Sunday. (assuming not everyone will be there on Friday)

If you wouldn't mind letting me know your plans by posting here or you can drop me an email or PM.
Also, please let me know the following:

1. Are you planning on attending

2. Days that you are planning on arriving or leaving (helpful in trying to setup a photo op)

3. Whether or not your bringing your car (include year and model (GT/CS or HCS) if your are bringing it)

Thanks everyone !

wldpony

I will be attending with my 2008 GT/CS arriving on Sat and Leaving to go home Monday Morning. Can't wait to see a bunch of CS Stangs together!! I hope we can get more participation on this since it is the 40th Ann. of the Cali Specials!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.