• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Yakima show/Scott's 428 CJ GT/CS

aemoo28

Went to Yakima Wa show yesterday.

Bill (traveledGTCS) was there with his CS, met a guy named Steve from Oregon with the most beautiful Royal Maroon 289 CS (who drooled over Cory's book & wants to be in the next one).

And then we all heard it. From atop the Sarg Hubbard picnic shelter... in came "Scott" from this site, rumbling like an angry tiger.

Scott and this 428 cobra jet C6 4 speed (was auto) red & black striped BEAST. Oh wow it was SO beautiful and the sound!!! He started it up a couple times and I was in heaven! Had to cover your ears a little bit, but worth it!!

One of 3 428 GT/CS cars. John McG has one, who has the third?

Shame on me I didn't get photos of the inside. Check out the tires.

Attachments

• Sept 20, 2009 Yakima Ponies in the Sun 005.jpg
    Sept 20, 2009 Yakima Ponies in the Sun 005.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Sept 20, 2009 Yakima Ponies in the Sun 006.jpg
    Sept 20, 2009 Yakima Ponies in the Sun 006.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

One thing I didn't realize before. The VIN # for the 428 cars are missing the code letter. It's blank. 8RO1 123456.

Good meeting Deadstang and family at the show, always nice putting faces to the names.

miller511

No letter to designate the engine in the VIN? REALLY?

Wow, as Johnny Carson used to say " I DID not know that."

admin

Staff member
Administrator
One thing I didn't realize before. The VIN # for the 428 cars are missing the code letter. It's blank. 8RO1 123456.
Hmmmm...do you mean Scott's was missing that character in his VIN? There may have been rare factory stamping errors or light stampings, but the engine character shouldn't be missing as a rule.

Ruppstang

Jon is right it must be a error. May be the guy that did the stamping used the R so little he could not find it when he got the chance to use it. It would be interesting to see if it is missing on the fender aprons and door tag. Marty

mmarsalone

Good meeting Deadstang and family at the show, always nice putting faces to the names.

Aemoo, was the VIN really 123456, or did you just use those as place fillers for an actual VIN?

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Deadstang backed up Scott on this 'missing letter' thing.

NO 123456 aren't the real numbers.

But both the VIN plate on the dash and the door plate are missing the letter code. Scott was saying they didn't fill it in on the early cars.

8RO1_123456. Just an emtpy space. Shoot I should've taken pictures.

JOHN MCGILVARY! Chime in and tell us what your data plate says.

DeadStang

Deadstang backed up Scott on this 'missing letter' thing.

NO 123456 aren't the real numbers.

But both the VIN plate on the dash and the door plate are missing the letter code. Scott was saying they didn't fill it in on the early cars.

8RO1_123456. Just an emtpy space. Shoot I should've taken pictures.

JOHN MCGILVARY! Chime in and tell us what your data plate says.

This is fairly common in the "1968.5" Cobra Jet Mustangs, whether it's a CS or a fastback (or a coupe). Most common was a missing "R" in the VIN stamp on the top of the inner fender aprons beneath the fenders, but it can bee seen in the dash VINs as well. My '68.5 has a blank place (for the R) on the inner fenders, but it does have the "R" in its dash VIN. They talk about this over on the CJ Forum from time to time. Sam's car is verified by a Marti report with the appropriate VIN and I have no doubt that his car is a 100% genuine CJ CS.

One correction, Sam's car does have an "R" in the VIN on the door data tag; it is a "double R code car," which is very cool.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
This is fairly common in the "1968.5" Cobra Jet Mustangs, whether it's a CS or a fastback (or a coupe). Most common was a missing "R" in the VIN stamp on the top of the inner fender aprons beneath the fenders.

Very interesting. I had never heard that. Thanks DeadStang, Scott and Amy for bringing this up. Learn something new every day... as long as I'm willing to admit it! :embarass: :wink:

More discussion as DeadStang mentioned on the CJ forums: http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=11344.0

John McGilvary

Hmmmm...do you mean Scott's was missing that character in his VIN? There may have been rare factory stamping errors or light stampings, but the engine character shouldn't be missing as a rule.

Ya, my second "R" is missing on the dash vin also.

John

The door plate has the full vin, engine is stamped on the back of the driverside head,
R158074

miller511

Great info.

John McGilvary, is your CS/CJ the first one built? And is Scott's the 2nd or 3rd?

-Jeff