• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 289 2BBL Carb

franklinair

What is the correct 2 barrel carb for the 289? I'm trying to help Reiny get one for his C/S.

Neil

Russ

Neil,
The type of carburetor is dependent on the transmission/smog system used. All 289 cu. in. engines used the Autolite 2100. If the transmission is a standard, the carburetor would be a C8AF-AK type. If the transmission is an automatic, the carb would be a C8ZF-G. These numbers are found on the carburetor tag, which also includes the date code, and is stamped on the carburetor base on the driver's side. I highly recommend Pony Carburetors for rebuilding or outright purchase of a carburetor....they do a great job restoring a carburetor, but they aren't cheap.
Hope this helps, Russ

gtcs1

What is the correct 2 barrel carb for the 289? I'm trying to help Reiny get one for his C/S.

Neil

Mine is an automatic. Here is the tag picture, Autolite 2100, before the rebuild at Pony Carb. Worth it to me, what a piece after the rebuild.

Attachments

• CARB AVANT REBUILD MARS 2007 044.jpg
    CARB AVANT REBUILD MARS 2007 044.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'm waiting for feedback from Reiny (A/T or Standard transmission). I don't think he wants to spend the $$$ for a concourse (Pony) carb. I'll be looking for a good O/H unit from a carb shop I used in Miami.

Neil

mustangman-nl

Carburetor

Hello,

Neil thanks for your help. I contacted already Pony carb, but I dindt have already a answer back. The "problem" is, if Pony carb. sent a carburetur to the Netherlands, I have to pay a lot of shipping cost and also a lot of taxes. If I order one in Miami, I can pick it up in Miami when I am on Holiday in Florida in march 2010.'
If there is a GT/CS (or other Mustang owner) owner in or nearby Miami who will help me, so I can pick up a restored (standard, not concours) carb. from Pony carb. at his adres, it will help me also to keep the cost very low.
I am searching for a 289 2V AT standard restored carburetor (thats the information you need)

Everybody thanks,

Reiny