• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 289 2V Carb

franklinair

I'm going to try to get a carburetor for Reiny. What's the correct model/PN for his '68 C/S, 289, 2 barrel? (A/T)

Neil

murf104

C8ZF-G should be correct for that application according to the material I have. A 2100 series with a 1.08 venturi.

hicountrybob

C8ZF-G should be correct for that application according to the material I have. A 2100 series with a 1.08 venturi.

Murf, what's the #'s for a C/S 289. 2 barrel, with the 4 SPEED tranny??? ALSO, a carb# for a 302, 4 barrel with the 4 SPEED tranny??? Thanks, Bob Teets here.

Mosesatm

Murf, what's the #'s for a C/S 289. 2 barrel, with the 4 SPEED tranny??? ALSO, a carb# for a 302, 4 barrel with the 4 SPEED tranny??? Thanks, Bob Teets here.

Bob, I think the 2V is C8AF AK. The 302 4V is C8AF-AS without a smog pump, or C8ZF-C with a smog pump.

Hopefully Murf can confirm these.

For those of you with the Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962-1969 Guide, by Bob Mannel, the codes are in Appendix C-5.

mustangman-nl

Carburetor

Hello,

Thanks for al your help. Sadly I did,nt hear anything back on my private massage from Neil.
In the meantime I have a price from Pony Carburetors, but I wait first for an answer from Neil. Today I took some pictures of the carburetor wich is on the car now.

Thanks and greetings Reiny

I can't post the pictures because the resolution is to high, if you want pictures, please e-mail me at mustangman@reinyvanuden.nl

Last edited:

murf104

Bob, the previous post is correct in the carb ID numbers. We tend to make this too difficult because many listings are shown as "with smog pump" or "without smog pump" or "with IMCO" or "without IMCO". In truth I think that ALL 289 and 302 cars in 68 with automatic transmission were equipped with IMCO, and all 4 speed 289 or 302 68 Mustangs were sold with a smog pump. Also the GT 350 Shelbys were equipped with the AUTOLITE 4 BBL carbs in 68 until early Spring (Feb or March) and then Holley was used thereafter. A recall was then put in effect and all of the early Shelbys with the 43oo Autolite carbs were changed to a Holley, a different Holley application for an automatic or a standard transmission. The 4300 series used on the 302 4 BBL cars was less then expected and many were tossed because they just simply would not work well. The ordinary Mustang owner in 68 who had a small block with a 4300 four bbl was not so lucky as to be included in the recall and had to suffer with the problems associated with the 4300.

CougarCJ

Bob, the previous post is correct in the carb ID numbers. We tend to make this too difficult because many listings are shown as "with smog pump" or "without smog pump" or "with IMCO" or "without IMCO". In truth I think that ALL 289 and 302 cars in 68 with automatic transmission were equipped with IMCO, and all 4 speed 289 or 302 68 Mustangs were sold with a smog pump.

True, I would like to add 3 speed manual transmissions along with 4 speeds to the above. :wink:

Many of the casting number part references include all of North America and the "without smog pump" listings are generally for Canada.

hicountrybob

Bob, I think the 2V is C8AF AK. The 302 4V is C8AF-AS without a smog pump, or C8ZF-C with a smog pump.

Hopefully Murf can confirm these.

For those of you with the Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962-1969 Guide, by Bob Mannel, the codes are in Appendix C-5.

Thank you. Bob here.

hicountrybob

Bob, the previous post is correct in the carb ID numbers. We tend to make this too difficult because many listings are shown as "with smog pump" or "without smog pump" or "with IMCO" or "without IMCO". In truth I think that ALL 289 and 302 cars in 68 with automatic transmission were equipped with IMCO, and all 4 speed 289 or 302 68 Mustangs were sold with a smog pump. Also the GT 350 Shelbys were equipped with the AUTOLITE 4 BBL carbs in 68 until early Spring (Feb or March) and then Holley was used thereafter. A recall was then put in effect and all of the early Shelbys with the 43oo Autolite carbs were changed to a Holley, a different Holley application for an automatic or a standard transmission. The 4300 series used on the 302 4 BBL cars was less then expected and many were tossed because they just simply would not work well. The ordinary Mustang owner in 68 who had a small block with a 4300 four bbl was not so lucky as to be included in the recall and had to suffer with the problems associated with the 4300.

Thanks, you guys, I appreciate you 2 for taking time to give us Class 101. Now to find these 2 carbs, one for our '68 CS w/4 spd and one for our newly purchased (J code) '68 fastback with a C-4. Bob here.

murf104

Bob, the 4300 four bbl you need may be a little bit difficult to find since most were tossed in the junk in a fit of frustration. They were not the high point of carb evolution. Many were given up for dead and a replacement of another type were installed.