• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 2 1/2 hour light bulb change

Ruppstang

I noticed on our way home from Seattle that AT gear indcatior light had burned out. Sunday I had a little time thought I would change the bulb. Ended up pulling out the entire console to change the bulb. 2 1/2 hours it was all back together. Just a suggestion if you are adding or have you console out put in a brand new bulbs. Same for the instrument cluster. Marty

franklinair

Amen to that. And to REALLY do yourself a favor- install LED bulbs.

Neil

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Would you belive it burned out again on the way home from VA. Beach. Never burned one out before and now two trips in a row. Neil is there a LED small enough to go in the bulb cover? Marty

Doug

A 1.00 part and 2 1/2 hours labor sounds about light. Just be thankful that you did it yourself. I vote for an LED bulb this time.

franklinair

superbrightleds.com

They should be able to tell you of a replacement.

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Ouch! Sorry to hear that Marti. What number is the current bulb? They make LED replacements for almost all of them now.

LED's are very directional, so don't work as well replacing some style bulbs that cast general light, but for something like a shifter bulb they should work great.

Let us know what part number you end up with (and if it works of course!)

6t8-390gt

I feel your pain I moticed the side marker lights were burning clear instead of amber so I decided to put fresh bulbs in. As alway one bulb came right out and fought me going back in. The other bulb was rusted, broke the bulb, fought with it, removed the entire side marker and placed it on the bench. About an hour later finally got the bulb replaced and re-installed the marker light assembly. I love old cars!

Danny

68 special

Never a dull monent. Always plan on double the time you planned. It does feel good tho when it's back together and it all works.

Another thought while the console is out, give the shifter bushings a look at also, there's another couple hours for a "simple" fix.

Bret