• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 GT/CS Grill Wanted

68MustangHCS

Hey Everyone,
I'm looking for an undamaged grill in great, excellent, or NOS condition. If anyone has a lead on a grill let me know. I have contacted a few members who have spares, just waiting to hear from them.

Please contact me directly through my Email address at kirkpatris@ec.rr.com or click the below link to send me an instant message http://californiaspecial.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=575.

Thank You...LowCountrySteve (NC)

Talan423

steve- i found it easier to buy a 67 grille and a set of fog lamp brackets from delt bay mustang and make my own (cheaper too), the directions are in paul newitt's '96 registry book. if you don't have the book, e-mail me and i'll get the instructions to you.

good luck
tom
talan423@aol.com

mikegtcs1968

Delta bay only has cheaply made thin sheet metal brackets. One of my friends purchased a set from them because they had boasted they had orginal tooling, but when they arrived, they obviously where very different from the orginals. They would not refund them because they had been installed on a grill, and they refused to offer any explanation as to why they lied about them being made from orginal tooling. They can not support the long term weight and shifting forces of Marchal Fog lights because they brackets will start to bend themselves apart and ultimately end up destrotying your lights (they are not stamped as orginals, they are notched and folded sheet metal), and look very different from the originals. But if are running lucas lights and don't care about them looking orginal (driver car), this may be a route for you.

Last edited:

68gt390

Mike;
I'm using a set of the Delta Bay brackets on my car and I've had no problems with them supporting the Marchal lights. They've been on the car for well over a year. :confused:

Don

Attachments

• Marchal Lights.JPG
    Marchal Lights.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Westland4.JPG
    Westland4.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 28

mikegtcs1968

Hmm... maybe they used a more thin grade of sheet metal on my friends brackets, he bought them only several months ago, the first trip my friend took them on the brackets bent and the marchals started sagging and scraped the chrome on the grill. Maybe they have downgraded to a thinner metal now since your purchased yours. As I said before, they may be ok for a driver car using lucas lights, but not marchals, and definately not a show car.

Last edited:

68gt390

Mike;
That is true, I did purchase my grill's from ebay but, I removed the brackets that he installed on the grille and replaced them with the brackets from Delta Bay Mustang due to his brackets breaking on me. Plus, the composite lens have been replaced with the original glass lens before I took the car to the Grand Nationals.

Don :cool:

Mosesatm

I purchased a set of brackets from Delta Bay about a month ago. Attached are pictures of the brackets. The backs are painted green just as a rust preventative. I'll paint them grille color before I install them which should be next weekend. Can anyone tell if the brackets are significantly different than the originals? They seem to be stout enough to hold a Marchal but I can't say for sure.

Jon the new software is fantastic!!!:thumb:

Last edited:

mikegtcs1968

These look identical to what my friend purchased. The joints are soldered. These soldered joints will eventually crack, just as they did on my friends brackets, leading to bracket failure. I would advise to remove the soldering and weld the joints. This will help to prevent joint failure, especially if you attempt to use marchals. Orginals where stamped and made out of thicker guage metal, they had offset holes in the spherical indentation. They also had stampings on their backs identifying left had and right hand brackets, but due to the thin guage metal, any such stamping would show on the other side, so this must be left off. These also are incorrect in their dimensions. More length should have been dedicated to the top parraleling section (to the grill) of the bracket to be more orginal. The spherical indentation has been pressed in after the hole was drilled, which is incorrect in its order and size being 1/2 inch. This reversed order leads to spherical deformity, and stress cracks along the perimeter of the hole (eventually leading to failure of the bracket due to eventual cracking of the metal around the spherical indention), differing it from orginals. The only solution to this cracking would be to reinforce the hole with a weld along its perimeter. The side rails are also wider, but must be so because of the thinner guage used. Another inconsistency I noticed is the angle of the secondary bend. It should be closer to that of a right angle, not an obtuse angle.

Last edited:

Talan423

gt/cs grille

maybe delta bay has cheapened their brackets? i have had mine for well over 5 years and have had no problems with them.
does that grille on ebay belong to anyone on this site?

tom

Mosesatm

Now that Mike has identified the week spots we should be able to add metal to the places in question. For example sandwiching the recessed hole with a washer on each side should lessen the stress on that area and it might be possible to epoxy another layer of sheet metal all along the inside of the bracket. Some of the new metal-to-metal bonding agents are incredibly strong and a double layer of metal should be enough to handle the weight and vibrations of the Marchals.

I'm running Lucas lights on my car so these brackets are perfect for me just as they are.

I found Delta Bay easy to deal with and am surprised they did not address this issue when it was presented to them.

U

Unregistered

I believe the grill he has listed there is just a 67 grill. Not a Gt/cs grill.

68gt390

Jason;
This is what I found on his sight:

"Grille 68 wo/foglights version & GTCS replacement"

Wonder if it is a 68 grille or a 67 grille?

Don