• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 A simple job.......right??

mbsf1970

Under mount speakers, install new package tray....Sounds straightforward enough.

Uhhhhh, no!!

In order to access package tray, one must unscrew and remove everything rear of front seats EXCEPT the carpet!!

Start with sills because they block removing the quarter panels in rear, then remove bottom seat because it blocks quarter panel removal. Then remove backrest of rear seat cause it blocks quarter panel removal. Then remove quarter panels which block package tray removal!! So, to recap, I have so far removed sills, top and bottom of seat and side quarter panels.....all's left to do is remove two little clips that secure package tray in play. Shhproing!! out flies the clip and the fastener is now lost in my car.....10 minutes of searching later I find it. I remove the second clip CAREFULLY and set it aside. I then unscrew ugly speakers and attempt to slide package tray out......uhhhh no! It disintegrates and crumbles into 30 sunbaked little morcels of crusty aged tray. I just looked at it and it broke some more. There goes my plan to use it as template for cutting out speaker holes in new tray!!

Before continuing I remember that the rear right quarter window is off its tracks....sounds like a simple fix.....IT"S NOT unless you have nimble midget hands and eyes that see through or around metal!! I won't share with you the deleted expletives that were expressed during this part of my day. Sufficeth to say that it took an hour of my day with greasy hands to finally arrive at a fixed and operable window.

Back to package tray....Yesterday I had spray painted the tray black and left it to dry overnight. Once my car was EMPTIED of all obstacles I inserted new tray into place so I could use a silver sharpie to trace oval speaker openings onto package tray. I then jigsawed holes out and proceeded to staple pre-cut squares of black aluminum screen over newly created holes---to prevent sagging of fabric. I started glueing fabric onto tray but soon realized there was a better way--TUCK tape!!! A little patience, a little cutting and fitting and voilà, a finished tray.
In the last light of the day, I under mounted my speakers with locking nuts and then inserted package tray and reinstalled 2 clips to hold it in place. I then cleaned up my hurricane of a day----all tools used--especially those thrown a half a block away when working on window rollers!! The tools had nothing to do with the window repair but frustration dictated that I throw something---and they were the closest things to me!

Tomorrow is IKEA day....which means some assembly required! I will reassemble back of car and then relax by removing black paint off of my taillight lens brackets.....

Simple right?!!!!! What could possibly go wrong??

Stephen

P.S. pic of installed package tray to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 39

Ruppstang

Welcome to the world of restoration where only the determined survive.
Nice job looks nice.

somethingspecial

Restoration protocol

I can't count the many times I had to go find tools I have thrown. Attached is a photo a friend sent me after he had problems with a pair of tin snips. I have a sign on my shop door "Warning, occasional flying tools in this area". I sent him the same sign. LOL

Attachments

• Arlie Tin Snips.jpg
    Arlie Tin Snips.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 127

robert campbell

There are no simple jobs when working on our Mustangs! Even for the most experienced of us!

Rob

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

This morning's photos courtesy of the IKEA "assemble it yourself" movement..

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 39
  • a_002.jpg
    a_002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 40

Mosesatm

The advanced course in tool throwing covers evaporator case installation.

rvrtrash

Looks good. Congrats on tackling it and finishing without loss of life or limb. :grin:

Steve