• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Best way to strip paint from fiberglass trunk, tail light panel & scoops?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
What's the best way to strip paint off our factory fiberglass parts like the trunk lid, trunk extensions, tail light panel and side scoops? I've been browsing some Corvette forums since they have all fiberglass panels, but I'm seeing some conflicting info.

Some say to stay away from chemical strippers because if you go too deep (through the gel coat) the fiberglass fibers will actually absorb the chemicals and you'll have a hell of a time getting paint to stick well.

Some say don't use a DA sander because it's too easy to go through the gel coat. But it feels like a DA sander is still the best bet, just being careful to sand with a light touch, only taking off the color layer of paint.

Ruppstang

We are doing the same thing on a GTCS we just picked up. No soda blasting or strippers , they cause you nothing but trouble, DA sanding very very very carefully is best,

Mosesatm

Agree with using the DA sander. Just be careful. If the paint isn’t too thick, and is well adhered you can prep and paint over it.
Isn’t your paint original?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, it's original paint, but it's mostly gone on the outside surface of the trunk. What's left is pretty chalky. I might start with just some hand block sanding and see how it goes.

The underside of the trunk has good paint, so I'll just scuff and paint over it. Same with my tail light cover panel. The scoops and fender extension have OK paint, but also have some nicks and rock chips to repair.

2023-02-26 18.08.38.jpg

2023-03-26 14.46.40.jpg 2023-03-26 14.46.46.jpg 2023-03-26 14.46.52.jpg 2023-02-26 16.44.15.jpg

Mosesatm

Be sure to wipe it down with wax & grease remover, or paint thinner before you start sanding, to remove any contaminants.