• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Brake light switch & no brake lights

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

I converted the existing power brakes to a dual master cylinder, and now I can't get the brake lights to work.

I bench bled the new master, and I have bled the lines. I have not started the engine, so the new booster has not had any vacuum applied to it.

The shop manual is confusing as to how to install the brake light switch. I've watch youtube videos and some have the switch wiring going to to the left and some show the wiring going to the right (towards the passenger side).

I would greatly appreciate your help - THANKS ! !

Dave

dalorzo_f

Would suggest looking at the pedal switch as item #1. Then grounds.

Not familiar with the 66's but on the 68's the wiring goes on from the right. The side would be dependent on if you install the switch with the "U" up or down, I've always installed the with the open end up..

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Would suggest looking at the pedal switch as item #1. Then grounds.

Not familiar with the 66's but on the 68's the wiring goes on from the right. The side would be dependent on if you install the switch with the "U" up or down, I've always installed the with the open end up..

THANKS for the help. :smile: I tested the switch & wiring by jumpering the switch & both lights work. Switch itself checks out with ohm meter. I am going to try and add a little shim to the switch, and install the switch as you suggested. Pretty sure the wiring to the right is the way it was.

Thanks again, Dave

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

added shim

Thanks for the help.

After trying 3 different thickness shims, I was able to get the lights to work with a .020 thick shim. The switch is installed with
the wiring going to the right (passenger) side

Lotas fun "standing on my head" under the dash! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dave

CougarCJ

That is one of the 'gotchas', power brake and manual brake switches are different.

Beau66

I am about to replace a brake light switch on 66 coupe. places I've shopped states for manual brakes only. I ordered one from a mustang parts store which should be here tomorrow. You are right, not much work room.