• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bullit is Back

BroadwayBlue

From Hemmings:
Muscle Cars

Bullitt is back

Ford is planning to build another Bullitt-edition Mustang as it did in 2001. Pictured here is a 1968 Mustang that Ford used to promote the last Bullitt-themed car.photo courtesy FordWhile Ford continues to burst at the seams and the name Titanic comes to mind, the company is getting plenty of mileage out of the knockout Mustang, which continues to sell quite well.

Ford execs are banking on the “new” Bullitt Mustang to help keep money in the bank when it returns soon. Early reports claim about 7,000 examples will be built. Most will be Highland Green, the color made famous by Steve McQueen in the 1968 film Bullitt, in which he played Lt. Frank Bullitt, a San Francisco detective assigned to protect a witness from the syndicate. Driving a 1968 Ford Mustang fastback, he gets involved in a pursuit with a black 1968 Charger R/T driven by stunt driver Bill Hickman. This pursuit is likely the most famous in movie history, and numerous Bullitt recreation cars have been built since. Ford brought back the name in 2001 and applied it to a specially badged Mustang with a throaty exhaust note and some retro trim touches.
The new Bullitt ’Stang also will be available in black, and thanks to a Ford Racing Power Pack, will come with a 312hp engine, strut tower brace, X-pipe, V-6 style grille, red brake calipers, 3.73 rear and 18-inch Bullitt wheels. The 2001 Bullitt GT had a 4.6-liter V-8 with 265hp. 6,500 were built.
- By George Mattar

P

PNewitt

It's amazing how car companies make the "neat stuff" when they have to, to make money. Ideas that would seem "frivilous", all of a sudden make sense...er..like after the 1967 UAW Strike, we see this new car called the "California Special"....

Paul N.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

The picture got lost in my first post.
And I can't edit it for some reason.

We all know what the original Bullitt looks like I'm sure but here is the picture the article was referring to.

Attachments

• 783513-0-0a.jpg
    783513-0-0a.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 24

2007GTCS

I'd love to see a Boss 429 re-issue....don't know what they'd use for an engine though. A Super Cobra Jet with a drag pack would be cool too!

rvrtrash

At one time, Ford prototyped a Boss 351 reissue. It had a 5.7L V-10 but kept breaking rear ends. That's the one I want.

Steve

CougarCJ

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned.

2008 there is a planned limited run of 1000 GT500KR's.
540Hp Supercharged.