• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Cylinder Head Casting Number

stangfan

My GT/CS was built mid-March and has a 289 2-V engine. One of the heads has a crack which is getting worse. My mechanic wants me to source another set of heads and get them rebuilt for installation on the engine. I strongly suspect that the car has non-original heads, as the PO told me that it had 66 heads on it. Can anyone tell me what casting number a correct set of heads would have for my engine?

Thanks.
Steve

CougarCJ

Automatic or manual transmission? Canadian DSO or US?

CougarCJ

The correct cylinder heads are marked C8OE and "289". 8.7:1 compression.

The thermactor heads are also marked the same way. So you do not want the ones drilled for those. They aren't common, but be aware.

I would consider the 1968 302-2V cylinder heads too. Those are marked C80E & J, along with "302" and 2V. 9.0:1 compession.

dalorzo_f

Where is the C8OE cast? I see 289 on mine, and the dates line up with the build late April (8C6, 8C7) and the rest of the parts, but did not find the casting number...

Mosesatm

It's on the bottom.

Attachments

• DSCN0976 (1000x749).jpg
    DSCN0976 (1000x749).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 53

CougarCJ

Thanks for that Scott. I don't know if this car had the thermactor originally. I'm going head hunting....:grin:

Your car would have had the IMCO system which is not thermactor. Thermactor systems came on manual transmissions and those cars with Holley carburetors. (generally speaking)

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Again Scott, thank you. Seems I'm always learning something on this site.

So far, only 1966 289 heads are available. Waiting to hear from another source.

x-codegtcs

I would go with the 66 289 heads. They are the next best combustion chamber size to the 302 4V j-code heads which had a 53.5cc. The 66 289's are a 54.5cc chamber - this head was used on both 2v and 4v. In 68 they went to a larger chamber on the 302 2v heads (lower compression). The valves, if I remember right, are the same as the 302 4V heads and if you find an earlier set they do not have the thermactor "bump" in the exhaust port which helps with breathing. I have two sets, but shipping is probably prohibitive - but I could make you a good deal and if you can drive to a US party address - it would save on shipping PM if interested.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I would go with the 66 289 heads. They are the next best combustion chamber size to the 302 4V j-code heads which had a 53.5cc. The 66 289's are a 54.5cc chamber - this head was used on both 2v and 4v. In 68 they went to a larger chamber on the 302 2v heads (lower compression). The valves, if I remember right, are the same as the 302 4V heads and if you find an earlier set they do not have the thermactor "bump" in the exhaust port which helps with breathing. I have two sets, but shipping is probably prohibitive - but I could make you a good deal and if you can drive to a US party address - it would save on shipping PM if interested.

Thanks for the offer. My original source fell through, but with the car set to go into the shop next week, I will need to obtain heads locally. I believe I have a plan in the works.

whodat

I have a question about this. If I wanted to build my 289. Should I rework my heads or should I buy the Edelbrock Top End kit? Which is matched up for the 289.