• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Do you remember your first?

Cool Manchu

The very first GT/CS I ever recall seeing was driven by a little old lady, whom I believe bought the car new.

I lived in Tracy CA during my high school years and I used to see her everywhere around town in that car.

It was a true GT, lime gold and I think it had white stripes....or was it black? :)

I would love to know where this car ended up. It was so cool and so beautiful.

What was your first?

Ruppstang

When I was a kid there was as neighbor kid who got a GTCS. At first I thought it was a Shelby and wondered how he could afford that. I did not see another for all most 30 years till I was judging a MCA show. I had recently sold our 67 coupe and thought the GTCS would be a great replacement and a search was started. I never got one I had to settle for a HCS, owe darn!

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...I bought the first GT/CS I ever saw!.. It had the ass-end of a Shelby and shook the ground as it belched to life like a 2000-HP Corsair! It was likewise admired by elder neighbors (every morning) who timed its thundering reverbs through the windings of the 'hood to the highway and beyond! Return landings were equally dramatic with its echoed approach and a "gear down" chirp before loping (and taxiing) back to the barn. Maintenance on this particular beast was also as frequent (and necessary) as we never really knew what engine it had when I had it! Some said 427, some CJ... it was all a big guess, but it was never short on "boogie"! I also never knew what a "GT/CS" was 'til years later... We just called it the Special cuz that script was all we had to go by.... The year was 1978 :)

Attachments

• PICT0269.jpg
    PICT0269.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 29

somethingspecial

I had never heard of a California Special until Tim told me about one he recently sold. He took me over to the new owners house and I fell in love and just had to have it. I was a Chevy guy, but it was the Big Block/4 speed that intriqued me. I could live without the Leopard Skin interior (I don't believe that was stock) fuzzy dash, shag carpet, fender flares, etc. but I have to agree with Tim, it did sound like a Corsair. I purchased the car the same year Tim took me to the Reno Air Races. When I heard a Corsair warming up on the tarmac, I turned because I thought it was my new car. LOL My friend who lived two miles from me in the foothills of California, could hear me fire the car up in the morning. He always knew where I was on my way out of a canyon as the pitch of the engine would change as I crested the top of a ridge. Gotta love it. Fond Memories. I was 18 and this was the first car I had ever bought and paid for, working my tail off in an apple orchard all summer. $1,500.00 I paid. 1983

AJG

It was 1984 and a beautiful Alcapulco blue GT/CS with no hood was driving along the beach. As this was in MA, I was shocked to see it as I had only read about them. As luck would have it, I went to work with the owner in 1987 and actually got to drive it. It was an X code and was set up for speed. He had a vanity license plate on it "GT/CS". I was lucky enough to buy mine in 1989 and he sold his X code a few years later to someone in upstate NY. He hung the license plate on his basement wall and to the day, I cannot get the MA RMV to issue it to me.

sam

I saw my 1st one as a kid in 69 or 70. Not many made it back to the Northeast, so it was an unusual sight to see. I never really knew what it was, and thought somone had modified their car.

Interesting I've owned mine going on 18 years, and still get great compliments about the car.

karolscali

Lost to one in a race, I had a 66 mustang coupe, 1977, talked to him after the race, asked him if this was a customize coupe, because never saw one like it before. I was hooked, I could not get those tail lights out of my mind till I got one 30 years later.lol

whodat

I first saw one in a all Mustang book at the bookstore. I think it was black on black. That's when I knew that's what I wanted.

CougarCJ

I know that I was aware of them as a kid, I was car crazy before I was 10. In 1980 when I started college (CSULB), there was a GT/CS in the student parking lot (T code automatic). I already had my first Mustang by then (it was a 1966 coupe), but dreamed of a Shelby Mustang. I knew then, that a GT/CS was affordable and desirable. It had been on my list of cars to own since 1980.

TraveledGTCS

Fun fun fun

I remember my first GT/CS since I still have it. Bought it new in Hayward, CA. After I had it for a few months, I had side pipes put on. When I was stationed in Jolon, CA - outside of King City, I could be heard doing the back roads to the various sites where I had photo jobs. Once I was coming into the bivac area and a lieutenant came running out thinking his helicopter had arrive. I have enjoyed my Special as much as anyone can. It currently has just over 500,000 miles on it.

Bill

SD GTCS

In 1976 I was looking to buy my first car. I saw a white GTCS in a used car lot and I wanted it bad. My "friend", who was a car guy, talked me out of it. His father was selling a Buick that I ended up buying. So it took me this long to finally get a GTCS. 2 weeks ago I bought it. All original including paint. I am so glad I found this website, its been alot of help.

hookedtrout

My first

Add me to the list of I bought the first one I saw. It was in 1981 when I saw it and I told the owner I'd buy the car if he would sell it. He wouldn't sell so I told him if he ever did, I'd buy. He assured me he wouldn't ever sell as it had always been in his family. A year or two later I saw it sitting with a for sale sign and it's been mine ever since.

rvrtrash

The first one I saw was at an apartment in 1975. I found the owner and started a conversation. That guy and I are still friends to this day.

Steve

robert campbell

1975 for my first look at a GT/CS. A good friend and a Ford brother had a S code automatic GT/CS. Red with black standard interior. He sold it to a guy in my area who still has it. Last knowledge I had on it was it was in very poor shape and the owner thinks it is a gold mine. May try to see it someday to see if it is a reasonable restoration. Or at least get the vin for Mike.

Gosh, and almost a year later I sold my first Mustang a 1967 C code Fastback with a serious 351 4V Cleveland. Four speed and 9 inch 4 pin trac lock with 4.56 gears and some tall tires.

And....... bought a 1968 Shelby GT 500 KR with a C6 automatic. What a fun car!!! White with black interior. From 60 MPH up it was nearly unbeatable. 3.50 open rear end did not help it get off the line!! 5,700 RPM was 130 MPH with the 26 tall tires. Fast as I have ever drove and it scared the doody out of me!

Sold the Shelby in 1977 to buy my first house...... got a whopping $4k for it in the middle of the gas crunch.....

Spose I would buy it back for $4k????? ya think!!

Rob

68 special

The first one I saw was in a garage in So. Oregon in 1976, Acapulco Blue. All you could see was the T-Bird tail lights. It was love at first sight. I tried for over 10 years to buy it, but the same story, "we are going to restore it". Even after I moved to Washington, I would do a drive by when I visited my folks. My wife thought I was nuts. Even after I bought mine, I kept checking on it. Last I heard it was still in Oregon, Lebanon, I think, but haven't heard any more.

Like Steve says, "It's not a hobby, It's an Obsession"

Bret