• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Electrical problem when I press brakes, lights go off & on

Mosesatm

Have you ever removed a Mustang headlight switch? If not, it can be a little frustrating the first time.

dalorzo_f

cant seem to find the emergency light flasher, even while upside down, face pressed against the brake pedal, I almost got stuck...I was so wedged in.

Just did my 68 S GT coupe and it was clipped to a bracket behind the instrument cluster. When you remove the cluster there are two uprights, it was behind the one on the left, flasher clips in wires up. Very poor location with difficult access!

dalorzo_f

Som pics, maybe too late, but from a 68 S GT coupe I am restoring...

CIMG0179Medium.jpg

CIMG0178Medium.jpg

CIMG0177Medium.jpg

CIMG0176Medium.jpg

CIMG0175Medium.jpg

Ruppstang

Dalorzo it looks like your AC vac lines are routed wrong. They follow the main wiring harness in front of the dash support. There is a hole on the side of the left support that is where the screw gos that mounts the metal retainer that keeps the hose away from the wiper arms. Hope this helps. Marty

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Just did my 68 S GT coupe and it was clipped to a bracket behind the instrument cluster. When you remove the cluster there are two uprights, it was behind the one on the left, flasher clips in wires up. Very poor location with difficult access!

Great pics!!! thank you so much, very helpful. now I know exactly where to look.

dalorzo_f

Too easy on the pics, snap a few, upload, post... happy to help.

I have been trying to find the right routing for the hoses, the FAM and vacuum diagram schematics are different... thanks for the tip... any pics?

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Have you ever removed a Mustang headlight switch? If not, it can be a little frustrating the first time.

so I went to the auto electric guy downtown, Dean, he does the old cars. He replaced the headlight switch and brake switch. The tail light wire going into the switch was melted, from overheating, and the prong on the switch for the tail lights was discolored. The parts store downtown said this was the "special" headlight switch for the CS, for the "big tail lights" (so is that true?, is there a different/correct switch) STANDARD P# DS150

He also found a loose wire on the back of the alternator (with that fixed the headlights and dash lights are not fluctuating like they were) its only a little now.

Drove her around tonight, and the lights are working fine now (I hope they keep working)

Mosesatm

There is a reason the wire melted so you may want to check your tail light sockets to see if they are corroded.

dalorzo_f

NPD and most vendors now sell 'em too... I see a few variants of the 1157 in the NPD catalog, 30 or 12 diodes, 1" dia, 24 @ 1 3/4" dia and 36 @ 2 3/16" dia.... anyone done any comparison?

dalorzo_f

Aslo... was thinking some of the LEDS might look odd as many are diectional, reducing the spread of light from the reflectors? Incandecents send ligth everywhere, some LED only away from the bulb (to some extent, its not a laser!)

Again, any experiences, as the little suckers aren't cheap and I'm gonna need 12, so with spares probably order 20....

And some LED vendors do note the need for a different flasher.

Thinking of these ones:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...tion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/115x-x45-T.htm

or

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/specs/1156-x18-T.htm

Which add up to close to $120-150 per car!!!! :eek:

OP
OP
Batgirl89

Batgirl89

Aslo... was thinking some of the LEDS might look odd as many are diectional, reducing the spread of light from the reflectors? Incandecents send ligth everywhere, some LED only away from the bulb (to some extent, its not a laser!)

Again, any experiences, as the little suckers aren't cheap and I'm gonna need 12, so with spares probably order 20....

And some LED vendors do note the need for a different flasher.

Thinking of these ones:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...tion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/115x-x45-T.htm

or

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/specs/1156-x18-T.htm

Which add up to close to $120-150 per car!!!! :eek:

dont forget to use the coupon: Get 5% Off - Code: RE619
superbrightleds.com/discount