• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 End Link Sizes

Mosesatm

Here is a photo of end links that are all suposedly for a '68 Mustang.
Will the height of the spacer affect ride height?

Attachments

• End Link.jpg
    End Link.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 34
  • End Links.jpg
    End Links.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 32

franklinair

The one on the right looks like the one I just removed from my stock/standard swaybar. I installed a heavy duty swaybar, and the spacers are shorter- like the ones on the left.

Neil

rvrtrash

Ride height is determined by the length and stiffness of the spring, and/or location of the upper control arm. The sway bar just ties the lower control arms together to reduce body roll. A shorter link should be stronger, everything else being equal, because there is less area for flex. If you've lowered your ride height at all, the shorter one will also put the geometry closer to factory.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I rebuilt my front suspension, changing everything but the springs, and it now rides 2" too high I can't figure out what happened. The only thing I can think of that I changed was the taller end link spacers.

franklinair

Strange. Same coil springs, same UCA location. Steve is correct- these 2 items affect ride heighth.
I just completed the same rebuild on my CS, but I also replaced the coil springs, and installed a heavy duty swaybar (with the shorter endlink spacers). The measurement from the ground to the apex of the front fender cutout is 28".

Neil

Ruppstang

Arlie, have you driven the car yet? Did you tighten the lower control arm before you had it on the floor? Did you remove any engine accessories? Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Arlie, have you driven the car yet? Did you tighten the lower control arm before you had it on the floor? Did you remove any engine accessories? Marty

Yes, I've driven the car.
I tightened the lower control arm after it was on the floor.
I removed the power steering parts but add air conditioning.

I'll measure the corners (underside of wheel arches) again and post them later today.

I wonder if the upper control arms are too tight and won't let the car settle.

robert campbell

Arlie,
I have experinced the EXACT same thing. Drive it a bit. It will settle down some. My guess is it will get back to the same place fairly quick.

I made the mistake of cutting a coil one time..... Hard to glue back on.....

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

It looks like the majority of the problem may be with the rear springs.

Here are the measurements at all four corners.
Front (Should be 26.5". Ford specs = 25.8" - 27.5")
LF = 26.25"
RF = 27.75"

Rear (Should be 25.5". Ford specs = 24.8" - 26.5")
LR = 26.25"
RR = 27.5"

I may swap the rear springs left to right and see if that makes a difference. I also haven't taken the car over any bumps yet so I'll run it over the railroad tracks a few times.

Ruppstang

+1 with Rob drive it a bit. Good plan the run over a few RR tracks. You might try loosing the front bolt in the high rear spring and bounce on the bumper a few times and check for any change Don't forget to retighten bolt.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Even Houston's awful roads didn't help so I swapped the rear springs left & right and that leveled out the rear. Doing the same on the front will probably level it out but it's only 1/2" off so that task is way down the to-do list.

I'm guessing the body has a bit of a twist to it, as most of them do after 40 years, and one of these days I'll take it to a good frame shop.