• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS exhaust manifold options

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

I want to clean up the exhaust manifolds on the '66, and looking for something other than the 48 year old rusted look.

2000 degree paint would be an option, although with a newly rebuilt engine, I think I need to start the engine & let it run for 20-30 minutes, which won't work with the heat & cool curing cycle that the 2000 requires.

Jet hot coatings want $270 to coat them. A local guy can ceramic coat them for $150.

I do show the car, but MCA is not a big priority.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

rvrtrash

What I've done in the past is bead blast the manifolds, paint them with high heat paint, wait until the wife is gone for a few hours and put them in the oven on high. All doors and windows open, because it stinks, and I always get in trouble, but she forgets in a week or two. :grin:

franklinair

What about running the engine after painting, and bringing it up to temperature. Wouldn't that accomplish the same 'heat treating' without any domestic unhappiness?

Neil

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

What about running the engine after painting, and bringing it up to temperature. Wouldn't that accomplish the same 'heat treating' without any domestic unhappiness?

Neil

I'm having the engine rebuilt, and in order to break in the new camshaft, I think the engine has to be started and run for 20-30 minutes.

With the paint, the instructions say to run the engine for 10 minutes, then let it cool for 20, the run it again, let it cool, and then repeat a third time.

I'll check with the engine guy & see what he says about the initial run time, and if the paint curing process would be a problem.

Thanks, Dave

stangfan

I had my engine rebuilt last Fall, and my mechanic used some of his stuff on the manifolds. It had to go through heat cycles also, but he said it would be fine. I don't think you need to worry. Go ahead and coat them. The heat will do the rest. :grin:

robert campbell

What I've done in the past is bead blast the manifolds, paint them with high heat paint, wait until the wife is gone for a few hours and put them in the oven on high. All doors and windows open, because it stinks, and I always get in trouble, but she forgets in a week or two. :grin:

You are my twin brother separated at birth!!! And I dry my carbs in the oven after the carb cleaner soak..... My wife REALLY hates that smell!

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Engine builder says the curing process for the VHT paint is not a problem.

Got the manifolds painted. I have done lots of rattle can painting, but never had a can leak, sputter, spit, goober like this can did. :eek:

I may have gotten some of the paint on the manifolds!

Attachments

• vhtpaint 001.jpg
    vhtpaint 001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 21