• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Exp500

di81977

EXP500 on the cover of the latest Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine. Have not read the article yet. Looks like they have 6 pages and several pictures.

david

OP
OP
di81977

di81977

Read the article. Not having read other accounts, not sure if there is any new information. I found a couple of things interesting:

Craig Jackson (Barrett Jackson) has the car in his private collection

The fuel injection unit and independent rear suspension were stolen from the ford holding lot many years back. The FI unit has been somewhat re-created, but is not on the car and the IRS was truely a one of a kind, no tooling or designs exist.

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

how much you wanna bet he puts it up for sale this coming January? Seems like it is getting hype and hype means money especially after last year.

P

PNewitt

Not to toot my horn "too loud", but I basically "found" the Green Hornet car.

I wouldn't characterize the parts (IRS, EFI) as "stolen", but the parts were removed before the car was placed on the Ford Corporate car lot in 1970 (where you could get a 427 Cobra for $3,000, too). If those parts hadn't been removed, it would have been crushed--it was slated for the Kar Kraft crusher--according to Fred.

Randy Darrow's dad was a Ford dealer in Michigan, and bought it for him as a car for college. I have pics of Randy driving it in the snow, with a white vinyl top, and '68 Mustang slotted wheels. The original black top wasn't vinyl, it was the sprayed on type, in black.

Fred Goodell had the Conelec Fuel Injection unit in his garage all those years, and I put Martin Euler with Fred, and they worked together to restore the car. Fred drew out the IRS on a napkin for Martin in a restaurant--so he could recreate it.

What issue is this article in? I looked at the Hemmings Muscle Car mag for August--is it in the Sept. issue?

The whole story about the Green Hornet will be in my new GT/CS Book.

Paul N.

OP
OP
di81977

di81977

Paul, it is the Sept issue.

I don't know how much of this story has been published (I don't have a copy of your book...really looking forward to the new one!!).

This article absolutely references your book and how you were involved in identifying the car.

Interesting reference to the relationship between Carroll Shelby, Bill Cosby, Li'l Red and the naming of the "Green Hornet".

David

P

PNewitt

Thanks, David.

Interesting that they credited me. It was a fun project to add to Shelby history.

Fred Goodell was a great guy, and a great engineer.

Paul N.

02ceta

Hi Paul , the hemmings muscle machine mag has a few new pics and some of the tranny info I eluded to earlier about the f-350 trans but not much else new except they couldn't get it to run when they were there taking the pics. Mine is being held up right now by the side scoops and rear panel.Thought I had a motor for it but it turned out to be a 66 427 police car engine. So I had to pass on it.but I have my sights set on another one we shall see this time

02ceta

Hi again everyone going to bid on 68 cj from a KR 500 today wish me luck.. Also does anyone here have any way to get ahold of Martin Euler or can give him My number . Found the Tranny for the Green Hornet II.... LOL

Mustanger

02ceta said:
Hi again everyone going to bid on 68 cj from a KR 500 today wish me luck.. Also does anyone here have any way to get ahold of Martin Euler or can give him My number . Found the Tranny for the Green Hornet II.... LOL

Good luck on the bid for the '68 CJ powerplant ... I hope you can report later that you're the proud owner!!! ...

P

PNewitt

A couple of things...

The article failed to say that the car began as a GT/CS pilot car--already with the rear fiberglass, taillights, etc.

The original top was a black "spray-on" black krinkle substance, not a vinyl top.....and when it was restored, late type rear reflectors were used. It originally had the early type rear reflectors. Martin Euler used the '67 type rear quarters, since the early '68 type are not available.

There is nothing "fragile" about the rear IRS. It's VERY strong. It's had 500hp applied to it, and still held up on a tight corner when Martin first drove it.

...and why is that passenger side Lucas light STILL crooked! It's been that way in all the articles...

In a general sense, I'd wish that (automotive) writers would cite their sources, and give credit where it is due. I don't mind information being used--but ONLY when the original author has been contacted first. As I'm doing the book, I'm contacting all involved to get permission to use their info, data, etc. I believe in good journalistic ethics.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

Here is an article from the November 1994 issue of Mustang Monthly.

Last edited: