• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ground strap and battery negative wire routing

dalorzo_f

Where does the grommet/"J clip" that bolts to the block attach on a C code?

14302-1.jpg

(image courtesy National Parts Depot)

Anyone got shots down the side of the engine (know its a difficult area to get good photos of) showing the routing of the ground and starter wire.

Seem to run real close to the exhaust manifold (like touching) as I have it... none of my refs show this detail...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Crawled under the car today and the only place that seemed logical was mounting it from the front bolt of the engine mount... so that's where it went...

Ruppstang

That is correct location but it is not for the negative it is for the started wire. Some cars have one on the front and back engine mount bolts. Be sure to crimp the eyelet a bit after you have run the wire through.
Marty

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yep, that wasbthe starter wire, with the extra protection behind it running along the area over the mount. Used dab of sikaflex to secure the grommet to the clamp. Once it dries I'll give it a slight crimp and bend as appeared to be the case on the OEM's I have...

Ran the negative over the top of the battery under the clamp (not between the battery and the apron as I have seen on some), then down to the horizontal tap at the front of the block and combined it with the alternator ground.

Thanks!

Last edited:

murf104

Richard, I put two of these "J" type stand offs on my 68 CS, although I think only one was used when the boys at SJ put the car together. (one on each bolt that holds the mount to the block) The 65 - 66 Mustangs normally had two and it did a better job of keeping the starter cable out of harms way of the hot exhaust. Also many used a flat sheet metal heat shield bolted between the motor mount and the engine block for added protection from the exhaust heat. I cut one out of stainless using an old one as a pattern - it made me feel better. And yes, use the braided covering and put a little pinch on the "J" clamp to keep the covering in place. All of those little touches will make your car a trouble free driver.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yep, I have considered that option as I have a spare clip or two. Will take another look when I get back under the car to make the final tweaks to the first and see if the routing looks secure.

Thanks for the help!

J_Speegle

If you look at the factory pictures from San Jose in 68 when their dropping in the engine you can clearly see this area.

Only one used on the front mounting bolt for the engine insulator (not between the insulator and block like some applications) and its on top of the insulator but under the lock washer of the bolt

J_Speegle

and where would these pictures be...???

We purchased a bunch of 68 San Jose production line pictures along with a handful of comparison shots of a regular 68 a Calif Special (might be one of the prototypes) from the original San Jose photographer that Ford hired.

Our licensing whit him does not allow me or anyone else to publish or post them anywhere else. Doesn't cost anything to join - they are in a member only area (since we paid hundreds of dollars for them) where we discuss production line practices and post related pictures

Link to the site is in my signature

For some reason thought you were already a member but checking the line up ;) don't see your screen name you use here - there

Hope this helps