• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 hood turn signal grille retaining nuts

murf104

Looking for help determining the finish on the nuts that hold the hood turn signal assemblies to the hood. The little nuts have a rubber insert in them for sealing and carry Ford hardware number 353911-S100. What is the finish on these nuts - zinc? zinc di-chromate? a color indicating something special? Thanks for any images of the original item or any advice on how they appear. There are fourteen of these under your hood so we should be able to get a good sample from a lot of cars. You may want to add your VIN and scheduled build date to your information in case there may have been a running change somewhere along the way. Thank you!

Ruppstang

John I believe that they were cadmium w/ a red rubber seal. I do not know why it was listed special finish. Marty

OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks, Marty. I had hope that more folks would comment since all of the California Specials made in 68 had the turn signal hood that used these fasteners, but will have to make the assumption that as you note the nuts have the ordinary cad plate and the S-100 (special finish) designation noted in the Factory Assembly Manuals may be because of the rubber sealing insert contained in the hollow of the nut. It seems that some of the factory fasteners used on the turn signal assembly have the red rubber insert as you noted while others have a black rubber sealing insert. This info is from a very limited sample of cars. Maybe at sometime more info will be posted.

robert campbell

I am not a concurs guy, but these nuts are very common on all Fords in that era. Used alot on trim pieces. Especially Falcons and Comets. I have quite a few laying around.

Rob