• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood twist lock adhesive?

murf104

Looking for advice on adhesive to use on the little stainless steel plate that is attached to the hood at the base of the twist locks. It seems to have had some type of sticky double sided foam tape when removed for a repaint. Any experience or advice appreciated. Whatever was used originally seemed pretty thin unlike the double sided 3 M body molding double sided tape that is common in body shop usage.

dalorzo_f

Not sure about tape, 3M makes a 1/32" thickness.

But would think a thin smear of silicone or other similar goop would work. Would not go liquid nails type stuff, and think weatherstrip adhesive would be difficult as IME experience it doesn't go on real smooth...

Easy and shuld work, if not correct. As I do not ever recall seeing "sticky-donuts" of tape for this application, and buying a roll to do the two small areas would leave a lot of waste..

OP
OP
M

murf104

Richard, thanks for the link. The really thin stuff would be a good substitute, and you are so correct about so much waste. One would have to buy about a mile too much in order to use it. There must be something available in smaller quantities that is available for this job. The silicone you mentioned is looking more attractive. One thought that I had was to use the glue that holds a sanding disc on the rubber backer of a D A sander. It sticks the sanding disc well, heat doesn't seem to loosen its grip, it doesn't ooze out when hot and it can be removed if it ever needs replaced (I hope without damage to the paint). Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience with/on that type of product?

OP
OP
M

murf104

Richard, THANK YOU! Just ordered a patch of the item you linked to. Looks as if it will indeed be, as you note, perfect. Will let you know in a week or so how it worked. Thanks again.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Yes, I have it. It is all cut and applied to the stainless washers on the twist locks, but am waiting for the final buff of the paint before sticking it on the hood. Don't want to have to buff around the locks and risk putting a shiny edge on the brushed finish of the locks. No report yet on how it will hold. Used the super sticky side on the stainless and the less sticky will be on the paint just in case they would have to be removed. The adhesive material is very thin but appears that it will be just fine. Will post results when they are sticking on the hood.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Still have the locks on my desk waiting for a buff from the paint shop. Can't seem to get a day when the shop and myself are able to connect. Have front end alignment done and vehicle drives like a dream, went on a 50 mile shake down ride and all was very good, no mechanical adjustments needed in any area. Still not happy with the way the trunk fits so rear stripes are not yet on. The paint inspectors stamps have been an obstacle but a member of this forum has offered to rescue me. Will give the results of the "stickys" when installed but I expect them to work well.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Tired of waiting for the shop to buff the paint. It is single stage and looks SOOO good that only a bit of selective buffing was needed on some horizontal areas to get out a spec of something. This morning the hood locks went on and the adhesive film worked wonderfully. Cleaned the area with prep-sol and wiped well and then fitted the stationary receivers to the core support, marked the location of the stainless washers with the adhesive applied but the bottom side still covered with the protective paper, removed the locks and the protective paper and reinstalled them putting them exactly in the foot print made with a lead pencil (the car is white). They stuck like glue to the hood and are adjusted to work smoothly and look good. the whole works survived the slam test a few times and I think the adhesive works well for this job. I cut the adhesive about one sixteenth of an inch smaller then the diameter of the washer but no gap shows between the washer and the hood. Very pleased with the results thus far, will have to wait months or years to find out the durability of the product. Just be aware that you need to fit the entire twist lock and adjust the stationary brackets before sticking the washers to the hood - I think they would be very difficult to remove and relocate after the sticky touches the paint. In a nutshell well pleased with the product and would use it again. Hope this helps someone doing the same project.

dalorzo_f

Great!!! Glad it appears to work so well.

On the pins I am getting ready to install soon too

For install I was planning on attaching the brackets a bit high and loose, close the lid, lock the pins in, and use them to push the brackets down to the required height. Is this the preferred procedure...?

OP
OP
M

murf104

Richard, I left the brackets a little high, closed the hood and twisted down the locks and paid attention to how much too high they were, unlatched everything and opened the hood, moved the brackets down what I thought was the correct amount and checked it again. Took a couple of attempts to get it where the locks were almost flush with the stainless washers but not tight enough to cause the sheet metal in the hood to deflect. The correct position on the stainless washers was not exactly in the center of the opening in the hood but at most within maybe 3/16 off center on the worst one. When they are centered to the bracket correctly and adjusted to the correct height they go in and latch like a hot knife through a stick of butter but if they are off a little bit one has to fumble a bit to latch them. Just be sure to have the optimum spot picked out and marked to stick the stainless washer before you unveil the sticky surface. In this case a plan of attack will reward you. I took a drive today, running into several friends along the way who wanted to see "under the hood" so had opportunities to open and shut the hood several times and the adhesive material held the locks in place well. Thanks for finding this stuff - you get a gold star as the researcher of the year!