• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How many GT/CSs left?

rananim

The issue was brought up in a recent (and probably many in the past) post, but no one offered info. on how many of our cars are still on the road. Might be an unanswerable question.

PFSlim

More get added to the Registry every time the registry is published. We will see what Paul N. comes up with for final numbers. This only gives you a slight indication as I know of several GT/CS's in Missouri and Kansas that are not in the registry.

Paul

Mustanglvr

4118 is the number of 68 HCS`s and GT/CS`s collectively. There were 3867 GT/CS`s produced and 251 HCS`s in 1968.

68 GTCS

I'm sure there are quite a few that are in back yards and in barns that probably won't surface for years. I happen to know of several such cars that the owners would rather see them rust away than to sell them or restore themselves. I know of two gt/cs one in North Dakota, and the other in Colorado, both stored OUTSIDE. And two 67-68 fastbacks in Colorado, both stored OUTSIDE. None of these cars have ran in years.
But the hunt goes on.

Kevin

P

PNewitt

The compliance rate for the 1968 Shelby registry (SAAC) is about 40% at the most. You know that after 39 years, they'd have most of them "corralled" by now, since it's always been a very popular car.

At the moment, the GT/CS Registry is at about 29% compliance, or about 1200 cars. For about every one registered, there is another one not (yet) registered.

There is a number out there, that is between "natural attrition" of regular '68 Mustangs, and Shelbys. That number is probably where the GT/CS is.

By looking at the stastics of other simular, late 60's registries of all cars, you can get a good idea where we stand.

I think to say that "half are gone" is pretty fair. My best educated guess is 2500 (incl. HCS) tops. There are the clones to consider, too, that can skew the numbers. Some of these clones are made from parts of "real" GT/CS cars that were damaged, salvaged, etc., over the years. You can't have 2000 GT/CS cars just "dissappear" over 40 years without those parts ending up somewhere....

The book will have a closer estimate. I can say that the west coast has preserved this Mustang marque, just by the original marketing nature of the car.

Paul N.