• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 interior paint/dye color

retroman99

i have the light blue standard interior with a center console. I cant seem to find a nice padded console in my color so I'm thinking about dying one but not sure the right color. NPD has several colors not sure which one to use i think it is slightly different than the light blue around the seats. any help would be appreciatted

franklinair

NPD lists light blue for '68 interior #VP-5748. Not sure if its an exact match for Blue interiors, as I've not done one in that color. I have had good luck with their colors in other applications.

Neil

Ruppstang

We have not been happy with the blue. You might want to get a custom mix if you want it spot on.

dalorzo_f

Looked into this for the EXP I did, but Ivy Gold.

I decided to go for an "off color" for the console as I felt an exact match would look odd. I went for a darker green, actually the '69 color, that did not match the seat bolsters or inserts. I felt too much "same color" and matching seat-to-console looks odd. As if its is "close" but a little bit off, it sticks out more than if the console is darker/lighter by an obviously selected shade... 2c worth... and not "correct" for sure...

OP
OP
R

retroman99

Looked into this for the EXP I did, but Ivy Gold.

I decided to go for an "off color" for the console as I felt an exact match would look odd. I went for a darker green, actually the '69 color, that did not match the seat bolsters or inserts. I felt too much "same color" and matching seat-to-console looks odd. As if its is "close" but a little bit off, it sticks out more than if the console is darker/lighter by an obviously selected shade... 2c worth... and not "correct" for sure...

I like that idea. I do have the vertical piece that goes around he radio in the original blue so I can try to match that I don't think it is suppose to match the seats is it?

Ruppstang

No it is not suppose to match the seats. I would have a custom mix made to match the upper pad and put in a rattle can. Here is a picture of a original 68 blue interior.
Marty

Attachments

• 1968 original standard  blue interior.jpg
    1968 original standard blue interior.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
R

retroman99

No it is not suppose to match the seats. I would have a custom mix made to match the upper pad and put in a rattle can. Here is a picture of a original 68 blue interior.
Marty

thank you for confirming that I was hoping there was already a color out there that matched and didn't want to but several different cans until I found the right one from NPD. sounds like it will be easier to try to match it. I'm so close to getting this project done I cant wait. I have learned one important ok more than one but the first is you can never take enough pictures prior to de-construction and 2 it takes 3 times as long as you think to put it back together. but I'm on T1 so learning a bunch probably should not gone for the complete restoration as my first project. oh well cant turn back now.

Ruppstang

We are here to help. I like helping others not make the mistakes I did. Some times these projects can feel overwhelming but hang in there it feels great on the other side.
Best of luck with you car.
Marty